U.S. Open

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Bengal B, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Unfair in golf means that the course penalizes one more than it should for a shot.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

But if it's unfair it's unfair for all of them.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Or all dogleg lefts, that would be a little more challenging for lefties. Unless that lefty is just awesome at slicing.

4. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Right. They mean it's unfair to the game.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The U.S. Open calls itself The Ultimate Test of Golf. It's supposed to be harder than the Greater Greensboro Open. I notice that there a quite a few good scores being put on the board. There have been other opens where par wasn't good enough to win it.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  6. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

I wasn't commenting on whether this course or set up is fair or not, just explaining the meaning.

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Right

There have been US Opens won with a score above par. That is what makes it a us open. Not supposed to be easy and it really burns the USGA's ass when someone blisters up one of their tracks.

8. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Agree with everyone's comments overall. However, listening to Gary Player talk about this course design, and others worldwide, they keep trying to lengthen courses, and make other changes to make courses harder, when they could simply limit the ball used for pros. He says with all of the advances in clubs, etc, it really comes down to the ball being used - kind of like in baseball. Instead, they spend millions in resources, water consumption, etc, to make the tournament courses tough enough to really test the pro players. His suggestion was to allow the advanced balls for amateur players, but the pro players should go back to using traditional, less engineered balls to limit the distance. And, it would be the same for all, so it would be fair. I bet a player like Mickelson would benefit greatly from a switch like this b/c then true golf skills would come into play rather than who can hit the farthest.

lsu99 likes this.
  9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

if i wanted to watch people drive it 200 yds id film shane and me. golf is boring enough which is why many like the us open and british. they can be brutal. gary player makes some good points but i dont want to change the game drastically.

then again, if the drivers get any bigger, theyll need their own bag.

also, more holly saunders. less joe buck. cant escape the jim nantz of fox.

poor dj, hes going to fall off the wagon after that one.

spieth, the world is yours. even if you're humble and boring. the opposite of tiger.

shane0911 likes this.
  10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Dick, I'm good for at least 270 off the tee. It may land a fairway over but 270 at least.
    They haven't gotten much bigger in a while but the engineering is NASA like. I can afford this year's model in 2018

They don't need to jack with anything. Player is just sour because he wishes they had this shit when he was still gamey.

How about that kid from Dallas?