UC Faculty and "Free Speech"

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by uscvball, Jun 16, 2015.

1. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Since this is Free Speech Alley.....

"Students are filing charges against their instructors for talking about things that upset them. At many schools instructors are required to list “trigger warnings” about an increasing variety of things that upset the little snowflakes in their classes.

Janet Napolitano, the President of the University of California is taking this to the next step. Speech codes. These codes are aimed at eliminating “microaggressions” of examples of subconsious racism and they were presented at faculty leader training sessions at nine of the ten UC campuses....

At the gatherings, deans and department chairs across the UC system have been instructed to be careful using (read: instructed not to use) phrases such as “America is the land of opportunity” or even use forms that provide only “male” and “female” check boxes, among a long litany of supposed microaggressions listed in a document underlying the “Faculty Leadership Seminars.”

Other sayings deemed unacceptable include:
    • “Everyone can succeed in this society, if they work hard enough.”
    • “Where are you from or where were you born?”
    • “Affirmative action is racist.”
    • “When I look at you, I don’t see color.”
    What a bunch of pussies. My teacher "upset me" by discussing what's great about America or showing some interest in my background. Boo fucking hoo. Microaggressions? Really? I can't get out of CA fast enough.
    http://theminorityreportblog.com/20...-cant-say-america-is-the-land-of-opportunity/

shane0911 and LSUTiga like this.
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Of course, Georgia or North Dakota have their own set of issues to piss you off, but the ridiculousness to pragmatism ratio in California is . . . well, ridiculous.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Can't be worse than Florida. That place is the wingnut capital of the world.

4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I thought the UC system was full of asians who dont care what you call them. where is this nonsense coming from.

Bengal B likes this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Florida doesn't have all the stupid PC laws that California does. They just have more than their share of true wackos. If you doubt that go to your Twitter account and follow @_FloridaMan

Florida Man Raids CVS in Nothing But Shorts and Flip-Flops, Demands Cash and Beer ​
    http://news.brevardtimes.com/2015/06/florida-man-robs-cvs-pharmacy-takes.html

Florida Man Batters Father With Hamburgers ​
    http://offthebeat.blogs.tcpalm.com/2015/06/10/burger-thrower-busted-in-vero-beach-feet-brouhaha/

Pizza Sauce-Covered Florida Man Attacks Roommate With Pizza ​
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/bizarre/man-jailed-for-pizza-battery-679035

Florida Man Tries to Kidnap Estranged Wife While Wearing Fake Pregnancy Belly ​
    http://www.nwfdailynews.com/local/man-wearing-pregnancy-belly-accused-of-attempted-kidnapping-1.488755

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I don't doubt it. There are some crazy people in Florida, maybe it's the sun, I'm not sure.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Id lean more to the serial killer shooting up this class. Good god almighty.

8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

"Universities are under attack from the far left, primarily feminist movements, all across the nation. “Rape culture” has been the forefront where, as at the University of Virginia, a woman can create a story about a gang rape out of whole cloth and the administration does not refer the criminal matter to police, they refer it administrative star chambers where 4th Amendment rights are waived"

"UCLA’s faculty approved, by a large margin, a controversial new policy that requires most future undergraduates to take a course on ethnic, cultural, religious or gender diversity......the case for the classes was made more compelling by several recent incidents on campus that raised allegations of anti-Semitism and a lack of attention to racial bias."

Basically, the UC system is primarily Asian (34%), White (31%), Latino (18%). The protests typically don't come from the Asian students. It's usually the white wimminz who are involved and most of the Latinos who are either immigrants or parents of immigrants who claim Colonialism still exists and they are uncomfortable. There is definitely some anti-Semitism on UC campuses....go figure where that comes from.

9. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

This is happening at campuses all over the country. Even comedians like Jerry Seinfeld, Dave Chapple and others are no longer holding shows or speaking on campus anymore. It's too likely they will offend someone who will take it to social media and ruin them.
    There is a PC culture that has been growing aided by bureaucrats and social who don't understand the meaning of discourse and debate. The idea that free speech includes disagreement or discent is being suppressed.

LSUDad likes this.
  10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I was in a class not long ago and the teacher said we couldn't use the term "flip chart" because it could be offensive to those from the Philippines

LSUMASTERMIND, Bengal B and Winston1 like this.