UConn Women's streak

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by LaSalleAve, Dec 20, 2010.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

So, UConn's women's coach, said something like "people are mad because we are going to beat a men's streak. If we were chasing a woman's record, this would get no attention."

Is that fair? First of all, If he does lead his team to win 89 in a row, that's not beating UCLA's record, because UConn's women's team didn't play in the Men's league. So it's a woman's record, not a men's record.

That's like saying Barcelona's Basketball's team is going to beat the Bulls record for wins in a season. Apples and Oranges.....

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I think people would have to care one way or another for them to be mad. Does anyone really care about women's basketball besides people in Hartford, Knoxville, and Ruston?

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

not that I know of.

4. Berge

Berge Founding Member

It's a different sport.

I don't get why there is even a comparison. They are not breaking UCLA's record. They just extended their own record in WBB.

If we are going across sports, why is this even being talked about at all. Penn State's volleyball team won 109 straight matches.

Miami's men's tennis team won 137 matches in a row.

Either this is a WBB streak/record, or it is an NCAA streak/record. It is not a Men's/Women's record, just like how UConn won the national championship in their sport last year, and Duke won their's. They do not compete.

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

yeah seriously, they are not breaking the same record as the men did. men beat mens (meaning good) teams. high school teams would destroy those women.

6. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I've often wondered why he's never been offered (to my knowledge) a job with a men's program or even sought one. I know he's got a good gig where he's at, but really, what's left to accomplish? Usually, coaches who are very successful aspire to prove themselves at a higher level of competition, but not this guy, and I guess I find that a little strange.

7. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Auriema made himself look like a complete idiot with that comment. That is all.

8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Yeah well they are a long way from breaking Cal Ripkens consecutive game streak......

whats that you say? Can't compare the two?

Oh, well there you have it.

2 people like this.
  9. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

I would bet that an all star team from UCLA during that streak would beat today's UConn team.

10. Berge

Berge Founding Member

Exactly... Favre's streak sucks.