UGA and Dale Brown

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DeafValleyBatnR, Mar 2, 2003.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Dale is associated with LSU and can not be giving money to LSU recruits or players. However, there is nothing illegal or immoral about his foundation giving grants to needy players that are connected in no way with LSU. Dale Brown has never been a fool.

Dale has always been critical of a system wherein coaches get high salaries and shoe contracts, schools make millions, yet the players who are generating the cash are often impoverished with no money to buy clothes, visit home, or even go out to the movies.

2. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Red no one said life is fair. I have thought many times about the fact of "a system wherein coaches get high salaries and shoe contracts, schools make millions, yet the players who are generating the cash are often impoverished with no money to buy clothes, visit home, or even go out to the movies".

And that is terrible, however it pales in comparison to the millions that have been called into military service, and the many that gave their lives for the freedom to have an opportunity to play sports.

I grew up in poverty in the fifties when there was no welfare or other poverty programs. I spent seven years in the military on a Submarine in order to go to college.

IF Robert Royal, who was a prop 48, can get control of his life and get his degree, then the Coles, Earls, and Powells can do the same. They were blessed with physical talents and ability to change their life. Basketball is an opportunity. Unfortunately they weren't blessed with the common sense to utilize those opportunities.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Roygu, mentioning Dale Browns philosophy about needy players was not about putting down people who have pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps. I'm sure you are very proud of yourself and have every right to be. We are all very proud of you.

We're talking about a kid here (Cole) who was basically homeless. His father died and his mother was institutionalized while the kid was still in high school. He was in and out of trouble. Dale and some others were trying to keep the kid from becoming a street person and steer him into a college scholarship because he was a gifted player.

The kid couldn't stay out of trouble and blew his big opportunity, but that ain't Dales fault. Dale himself was an impoverished kid with no father who played his way into sucess through basketball. That he tries to help other kids in bad situations is highly commendable. And it is no reflection on the success of those who did it on their own.