UGA still ranked above LSU ...?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by terry cox, Oct 27, 2003.

1. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

Will we? I hope so.....

2. aztiger03

aztiger03 Founding Member

UGA FLA WILL be teh east winner..UT is in a fog. They dont have any idea what is going on...look at last weekend with BAMA..

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

By the way, guys. That is a reference to LSU's loss to UAB 2 years ago. Another typical shot from a so called "LSU fan".

4. dartdogs

dartdogs Freshman

maybe someone can answer.... i just looked at the bcs standings and it had the rules listed underneath. my question is about the quality wins. according to the fine print, lsu has gotten credit for beating georgia earlier. now the way i understand it , it says that you can only get credit for for beating a top ten team once. so if lsu were to play georgia again in the championship game and win, the quality win points wouldn't move. i would assume strength of schedule would improve, but no extra credit... now if georgia were to beat lsu, would that give them quality win points? i know this depends on both teams winning out, but i'm just trying to figure out how much this would help either team. damn decimal points.... thanks

5. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

As I understand it, the quality points are based on the final BCS standings and you can't double dip for beating a team twice. Last week we had 0.7 points, now it's 0.6 b/c UGA dropped a spot. This will change week to week until the final week.

What's really screwed up is that we could beat UGA in the SECCG, thus knocking them out of the BCS Top Ten and receive NO bonus points!

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I'll be damned if I understand it. I think the BCS was set up to make more work for lawyers.

7. dartdogs

dartdogs Freshman

wonderful... isn't it amazing all the different little ways this system can screw EVERYONE around. thanks for the reply

8. TigerWins

While I agree it's much more complicated and an imperfect system, it is 100 times better than the previous system of 2 human polls which have biases to a particular team and/or region of the country.

The real solution is a playoff...

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

And the people who program the computers are not biased?
    The 2001 Tigers had 3 losses but by the end of the year they were as good as anybody. Nebraska got blown out by Colorado in their last regular season game and didn't even play in the Big 12 Championship game but the Huskers ended up playing Miami for the NC. LSU, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, Florida and Oregon were all better than Nebraska at the end of the season but since there is no playoffs all were left out as Nebraska was designated as the #2 team. I don't know if LSu would have beaten Miami for the NC but they damn sure were good enough late in the season to have made a run for it if there had been a playoff.

10. TigerWins

I'm not sure how you can suggest any bias on the part of the computer polls which benefits one team over another.

I'm not suggesting the formula used for these 7 computer polls are the best, but they treat all 117 teams equally. It's not like they can adjust their formula in the middle of the season to benefit one team. All they do is plug in the results of each week and the computer spits out the numbers. It is imperfect, but the human element is removed.

Do you really prefer the old 2 human polls system where we had split national championships and not having a MNC game?