UGA still ranked above LSU ...?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by terry cox, Oct 27, 2003.

1. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Each of the computer polls weight different categories differently, and thats a large part of why they are all different. It seems that we have this conversation every year, and every year the computer polls become more and more aligned as the year progresses. Eventually, all of these polls will be very close. Until all of the teams have played their games, the polls will be a little skewed. Also, the BCS takes the poll average for the very reason that they are different. All of the polls make legitimate arguments for why their ranking are the way they are. The computers may weight a win over one team more than the other, but it is not dependent on the conference they are in (among the BCS conferences anyway). Things will work themselves out like they usually do. 2001 has really been the only exception. And we have LSU and Colorado to thank for that. Had Colorado not beaten Nebraska in the regular season finale or LSU had not beaten Tennessee in the SECCG, there would have been nothing to complain about. It was just a weird year that ended in a lot of upsets. It was still better than the days of #1 vs. #4, #2 vs #5, and #3 vs. #6.

2. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Bengal B, I understand your point of view, but what's the answer to solve this problem?

My original point was that the BCS ranking is an improvement over the old 2 poll system ... agree or disagree?

I'm in favor of a playoff system. I'd prefer an 8 team playoff, but could live with 4. It would be better than the current BCS system ... agree or disagree?

If we agree that some sort of playoff system is best, you do realize that we will still have a dilemma of coming up with some sort of system to figure out the top 4 or 8 teams? Back to square one ... LOL

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

In 2001 Colorado had a couple of early and mid season losses as did LSU. When Colorado beat Nebraska they were the Big 12 North winner and beat Texas in the Big 12 CG because even though Texas had lost to Oklahoma the Horns were the Big 12 South champs on the tiebreakers. When Tennessee beat Florida and then LSU beat Tennessee the legitimate conference champions who should have had the chance to be considered for the Rose Bowl against Miami were LSU, Colorado, and Pac 10 champ Oregon and even Illinois as the Big 10 champ. There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that at that stage of the season with LSU coming on like gangbusters that they were better than Colorado and Oregon and they proved to be far superior to Illinois in the Sugar Bowl. The way it worked out at the end of the season LSU, Tennessee, Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, Oregon and Illinois all deserved a chance to prove they were the best on the field. All of them were denied the chance to prove it because the BCS chose to award the NC berth to Nebraska, a team that didn't even play in their conference championship game. With a playoff all of these teams would have had to earn a title shot instead of having it handed to them by a group of computers. What is going to happen this year if both OU and Miami lose one game and TCU finishes undefeated? That would leave as many as 8 one loss teams from BCS conferences and one undefeated team from a non BCS conference that is trying to stir the pot to gain access to the post season riches that are now only distributed among the BCS conferences members. I hope it happens that way because the more teams that get screwed the closer we are to a real playoff.

4. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

You wont find any argument from me that a playoff would not be the purest system. That is certainly the only way to crown a true champion. However, the BCS and computer polls do have their merit. We can at least take some consolation in the fact that we are moving forward. The BCS is better than the previous "Bowl Alliance" and the Bowl Alliance was better than what we had before. The BCS contract is due to expire in a year or two, so we will just have to wait to see what comes of that. I dont know what the best solution is, but I know it isnt a full 16 team playoff. I would like to see the best 4 or 6 teams eliminate themselves from MNC contention.

5. LSUstudent

LSUstudent Founding Member

i did a paper in my freshman english class back in 1999 on the BCS...here is some of the research i gathered...i do not know how up-to-date it is however this is how it was back in 99:

u can read my whole paper here: http://members.aol.com/lsur0x/bcs.doc

6. SpringTiger

SpringTiger Founding Member

I believe we are headed that way, eventually. I see six "super conferences" one day with an eight team playoff that involves the six conference champs and two at large or "wildcard" teams. At least, I hope that happens, and I hope it happens in my lifetime.

:geaux: