UGA's chances against the Gumps

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by cwatsn, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

In 2008. But the script was the same & the result was different the following year.

2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

ONE: Let's be real. You bring the year 2000 in the picture and right at half of it is Mike Shula. Any comments made about this game and Alabama's chances are based on what has happened in SEC play the last five years.

TWO: It's hard to say how much of an impact third down conversion will have. They were 7-16 against UofSC and were blown out. 1-10 vs UF and won. It's another example of the Jekyll and Hyde syndrome of Georgia.

3. Akcajunz

Akcajunz Frozen Tiger Fan!

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Bama's weakness is the back end on defense. Also if Barrett Jones doesn't get away with holding on every play he will get eaten alive like he did against A&M. If Aaron Murray has success in the air, and doesn't turn the ball over, Georgia will beat Alabama.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Didn't you read Uga is 4-17 vs top 25 competiom. Mark richt is special and I'm pretty sure he's still there.

StaceyO likes this.
  6. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Yeah, but as we well know, Richt has Saban's number when it comes to revenge (cough 2003/4 cough), and I believe he owes little dick for an ass-wuppin' a few years back.

7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Yes, and no.

There is a weakness in the secondary. Despite the belief here it was exposed by LSU, it was first taken advantage of by Ole Miss, then Miss. State. LSU had the ability to exploit it. That weakness is in the nickel package.

While it is still with five defensive backs, the issue lies with playing three safeties instead of three corners. The move of one of the corners to the Star position late in the 1st quarter against A&M was a gamble, but it did slow down their scoring frenzy.

A comparison of A&M's play against the offensive line doesn't belong in this conversation. It's comparing grapes to watermelons. UGA playing a 3-4 with 351lb nose versus A&M sliding Moore (245lb defensive end) into the middle to attack the 2 and 3 gaps. UGA can't afford to slide a DE over like A&M. They are rotating one DE backup to spell both their RDE and LDE. It's not a deep group at DE.

It's simple to say "if a QB has success through the air and doesn't turn the ball over" this team will beat that team. That's about as in-depth a prognostication as saying "whoever has the most points on the board wins." Based on the competition Mett faced this season he had his best game of the year against Bama and did everything you said Murray has to do. In the end, it wasn't enough.

Is Georgia's success determined by Aaron Murray's success Saturday? Sure. Largely due to his success. As much of this game and its outcome lies with Murray as it does with Richt. Neither have proven they can consistently step up to the point of ensuring Georgia's success.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I keep it simple. It's all about Aaron Murray in this game, we know what Alabama is going to do. Alabama can be run on between the tackles, they can also be thrown on because their secondary while not weak is their weak link. Can Murray protect the football. If the answer is yes, I think Georgia wins, also can Georgia tackle. This was a huge difference in our game, we couldn't tackle.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I ain't putting any money on this game. Georgia is better than last year and Bama is weaker than last year. Georgia has a history of tanking big games, but that means nothing. Bama has a history of getting lucky when they need it, but that means nothing either. Too many intangibles.

If either team loses their quarterback, they are toast, ala USC.

10. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Understated. Dramatically.

There's no doubt Georgia can win this game. Based on what I've looked at, the probabilities lie in Bama's favor.

There has been two teams eclipse 100 yards rushing this season; A&M and LSU. Which game are you going to use to back up your claim?

A&M? 165 yards rushing, over 90 from Manziel.

LSU? I don't believe UGA has the offensive line or the running backs LSU does. Do you?

This notion Georgia tackles well? Which game might you be referring to them doing so? They have a very good group of linebackers. But, don't stop the running game well—11th out of 14 teams in the SEC, a league known for running the ball.