Uh Oh ... HawFULthorne is in BIG trouble now ... LOL!!! ...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUBud, Aug 11, 2004.

1. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

Got this from DandyDon --

LOL!!! LSU is going to start allowing players on offense and defense to wear the same number!!! I can see Hawthorne now --

"It's Jack Hunt, Jack Hunt, no, Devery Henderson, Devery Henderson, NO, it's Jack Hunt, Jack Hunt, WAIT, it's Rohan Davey, Rohan Davey..."

If you thought Hawthorne's screwed up in the past ......

2. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

Hawthorne isn't the greatest radio guy in the world, but he loves LSU and does a pretty good job IMO.

3. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

Whether you hate HawFULthorne or love HawFULthorne (or anywhere in between), you must admit that the thought of HawFULthorne calling a game where 2 LSU players can where the same number is FUNNY, if not FRIGHTENING!!!

4. SeN-SaTioN

SeN-SaTioN Founding Member

I think Hawthorne does a great job. I really enjoy and feel his love for LSU when he commentates.

5. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

If loving LSU is all it takes, then we are all qualified for the job!

You have no clue what's going on in the game with Hawthorne...

6. Maderan

Maderan Founding Member

I think, whether he is slightly off or not, hawthorne calling the games is an LSU tradition. I peronally associate his voice with LSU sports and know it wouldn't be the same with out him. So what if he has screwed up a few times, I know you all would be able to perfectly keep track of everything on the field, every player, every number, every subtitution. When Devery caught the ball in the Bluegrass Miracle i was so stunned I couldn't do anything but yell in loud noises much less speak or make commentary. The guy is an LSU fan and part of LSU tradition. He deserves our support, end of story.

7. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

Some of us just think we can do better. I got to LSU the year HawFULthorne got to LSU. The few times I listened to him, I didn't mind his call of the game. But, this was because I wasn't watching the game.

When I got out of college and started watching the majority of the games on T.V., AT FIRST, I would turn down the sound on the TV and turn up the LSU play-by-play. THIS was when I fully understood how REALLY BAD HawFULthorne was. It's like he was watching another game. He CONSTANTLY gets things wrong, and, when his co-commentator "nicely corrects" his ineptness, he sounds like a whiny little b!tch who is offended that someone would EVER correct him.

As far "deserving our support" -- WHY. Because he sounds like a fan. As far as his being a "fan" - HE'S BEING PAID to do the games. As far as I know, he comes from North Louisiana and had no ties to LSU until they started to give him a paycheck. Hell, an Old Piss fan would sound excited to do an LSU game if he was getting paid to do it.

For me, it takes a lot more than being a "rah-rah, let's go team" person to be a good announcer. And, I think (KNOW) that LSU could do better. This man has SCREWED UP every major call he's made. And, he just does an overall BAD job of letting fans listening on the radio the situation.

8. Gandalf

Gandalf Founding Member

It's only annoying when it's a close game and I really want to know what happened. But then I just go by the crowd noise in the background. If it's our fans cheering I know it was a good play for us etc...I wouldn't want someone else announcing it, it's like a drunk friend is trying to tell you a story or something, you don't change friends just because he can't spit the story out.

9. purplejoe

purplejoe Founding Member

i'm not a big fan of hawthorne.....but i understand where people say he's so associated with lsu that its hard to imagine anyone else...but i've also heard some gawd awful people in this town announce...anyone associated with cox....on there high school football coverage...charlie hannigrif is terrible...dear god is kent lowe awful...there arent many good pbp people in this town at any level...whether its lsu or watever..you got jon fine butcherin and already bad team at denham...ilast ...and if you've ever heard barry spears then you'll really appreciate jim hawthorne..i dont know how barry spears can do pbp...awful..this town is awful in pbp....no one is any good...i did though hear a guy who used to do a minor league team here in town..i caught in on the internet...it wasnt to bad...sounds like a guy who had some talent...but i dont remember who he was..it was last summer some time...and remember damon sunde? kingfish...awful

10. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

LOL!!!

In other words - he only screws up when it REALLY matters!