Uh Oh ... HawFULthorne is in BIG trouble now ... LOL!!! ...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUBud, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Gandalf

Gandalf Founding Member

No, not really, he screws up ALL THE TIME, but I still like listening to him. I can understand someone being frustrated with him, but it's just a personal choice as to whether or not you want someone else.

2. purplejoe

purplejoe Founding Member

but honestly...are there really any worthwhile pbp announcers in this city...or radio hosts...they all pretty much suck...anyone have anyone that they think is worth a damn?

3. Maderan

Maderan Founding Member

Geez, seems a might bit extreme. Every major call he's made? Huh, well I don't seem to know how to resond. I don't have a problem understanding what's going on when he calls the games. Even with radio being a couple of seconds ahead of the TV I seem to do just fine. But hey what do I know. It's not like I know Hawthorne and have ever run a radio station before. Ohh wait, yes I have. Have you listened often to people call other college level games on the radio, cause if you had you would know the level of talent that radio gets and that Hawthorne isn't that bad. Can we do better? Maybe, but TV gets the real talent and thats where the money is. Do we need to do better? No, most of us can follow the game and are willing to allow for errant mistakes every once in a while (and believe me they happen on other stations at other colleges just as often). So if you can't stand Hawthorne because he has gotten every major call wrong, i invite you to exersise the right not to listen. Turn of your radio. Me, I'll support him because he is an LSU fan. I don't think he's the best but I know that he's not the worst. :geaux:

4. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

Thank you, Mrs. HawFULthorne!

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Bud, you're being way too critical. I agree with Maderan. I loved John Ferguson too and nobody screwed up more than him. And, a play by play man is only as good as his spotters.
    I'd much rather turn down the TV and listen to Hawthorne than have to break in a new voice. After I croak, get whoever you want. For now, I'll dance with what brung us.

6. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

No offense, but I have always thought it was kind of silly to refer to play-by-play guys, announcers, anchors, etc. as "talent." Im not saying it isnt hard, just always struck me as funny.

7. Turbotigerfan

Turbotigerfan Founding Member

Anyone who is overly critical of Hawthorne doesn't remember Ferguson!

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Nest time you're watching a game, turn down the sound and try it.
    (This experiment should be conducted when you are alone and with all doors locked)

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Actually, when I first had season baseball tickets in the mid 80's, Id listen to the games on radio as I watched. Baseball is by far, his worst sport and it was really hard to listen and watch when i knew he was way off on homeruns which were foul balls from the moment they left the bat to double plays when there were already two outs.

What I have learned after time is what SF mentioned. A new voice comes in and you will regret not having hawthorne. Its similar to family....you become accustomed to them and accept them for their faults and miss them like hell when they are gone. I think Hannagriff is too negative and brings Jim down during baseball season.

You said when someone corrects him he acts like some whiny little bitch? now, youre being delusional. In the years of listening to him on all sports I have never heard him do anything of the sort.

10. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Agreed on this, baseball being his worst sport. He is very eager to call a deep fly ball a home run sometimes too. We've all heard him say this before:

"That ball is out of here! --- Caught!"

I would feel lost listening to a LSU sports broadcast without Jim Hawthorne making the call. For me, I have grown up hearing his call and I enjoy having him do the broadcasts.