Uh Oh ... HawFULthorne is in BIG trouble now ... LOL!!! ...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUBud, Aug 11, 2004.

1. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

I dont mean to take away from what they do. I realize it can be hard work. So are a lot of other professions, there may be people on this board with more difficult jobs. We dont call them talent. Dan Patrick agrees with me. He and Dibble were talking about it a couple weeks ago.

2. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Back on the original subject, I do not like when teams have two players with the same number in the starting lineup, but oh well.

3. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I had posted on another thread recently that after Webster got his interception in the Sugar Bowl, ABC cut to a camera shot of Webster....... but the dude was white, not black heh. He had a LSU #13 jersey on though. Afterwards, someone clarified this practice of two players wearing same jersey to me.

I don't like it either. :(

4. purplejoe

purplejoe Founding Member

its hard to believe how bad the pbp people in this town are...and color people too....its horrible...jordy hultberg....geez is he terrible

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Back on a tangent, it's a Broadcast term. In a TV or Radio station you have sales, production, engineering and talent.
    "Talent"is a term referring to on the air personnel.

They don't all have "talent", however.For instance, Lou Tepper was called a "coach".

6. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

Exactly! It isn't as easy as it seems.
    Have you ever listened to Big Dave do a game on KJCB?
    On a first and 10 play, "Davis around the corner...He picks up 5. 2nd and 2."
    It's Hilarious!
    During a Cecilia/Breaux Bridge game. "it's brother against brother, cousin against cousin. They pick sugar cane together."

7. tigrman

tigrman Founding Member

Hey Bud, dude, what's with the north Louisiana line? I wasn't aware that it was south Louisiana State Universty. I thought that was ULL :dis: .

Anyway, some buddies and I deer hunt in Arkansas some and the only games I can pick up are the arkansas games on those weekends (thank god they are few and far between). That anouncer SUCKS!!! I thank the lord for Hawthorne every time I listen to the arkansas anouncer.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

A few years ago, Big Dave was doing a Cecilia-St. Martinville game. The score was real close in the 4th quarter and Dave said: "The Cecilia fans are worried...but the St. Martinville fans are Mo worried." :D

9. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

I meant more with respect to his collegiate alliances. Isn't he from Northeast La. University? I don't believe he had any ties to LSU until he started getting a paycheck from LSU.

BTW, I grew up on Ferguson and believe he was 10 TIMES the pbp announcer that Hawthorne could ever be.

And, the next time you listen to him, THINK "REALLY 'BAD LOUNGE LIZARD SINGER". You'll start liking him A LOT less.

10. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

I called play-by-play for 11 years in Div. 1-AA, nearly always without computer monitors or spotters. I always felt that preparation was the key to a good broadcast. I would begin preparing for a game on Tuesday night and work every night on offense and defense charts, special teams, stats, coaches, what happened to each team in previous games, series history, player information, etc. If I did my homework properly, giving the audience a good game was always easier for me. And I also cared VERY much about how good I was on the air.

My problems with Jim Hawthorne (giving him full credit for loving LSU, etc.) are that he never sounds sufficiently prepared and lately sounds like he just doesn't care. I also don't like the way he calls a play of any length. Instead of saying "he's to the 20, to the 30, cuts outside at the 40, crosses midfield and is shoved out of bounds at the 45," Hawthorne says, "Handoff to Vincent annnnnnd ... heeeeeees ... OUT OF BOUNDS AT THE 45!

I can understand that growing up with a certain voice calling LSU games makes one fond of that voice. Larry Munson of Georgia probably grates on the nerves of anyone who is not a Bulldog fan, but he's been at Georgia forever and the Georgia fans all grew up with him and they love him. So it all just depends on your perspective.

Despite my criticisms of Jim Hawthorne, I would rather hear him call an LSU national championship game than hear the best announcer in the world call an LSU loss.