UM vs LSU Discussion

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhamreb, Nov 17, 2003.

1. bhamreb

bhamreb Freshman

I dont want a flame war and I am not "that" kind of fan... just want to talk football and get you guys 2 cents...

here are a few thoughts...

I think that LSU's D is right on... they are the best D in the SEC no doubt... After watching a few games this year, I have a few insights... LSU has a great pass rush D... they were practically taking the handoffs from Brodie sat night.... I dont see ole miss being able to run up the middle against you guys... The only way that they may be able to run is off the corners...

now I didnt see Brodie or really any other QBs that you guys have played checking off at the line... Eli is smart... I really think that he may be able to take advantage of the rush and hit recievers on 8-9 yard dumps when they rush hard....

The only other thing that I see that could help ole miss is the turnovers.... If there are 3 turnovers against ole miss that could effect the final outcome....

either way... I really think that It will be a good game if Oxford on Sat...

2. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

Should be a dandy this Saturday. I'm glad I have the chance to go to the biggest Ole Miss - LSU game in 4 decades! As for your post, I agree with most of what you said. It should be great watching the SEC's top D go against the SEC's top O!

3. yorktigerfan

yorktigerfan Founding Member

Hi bhamreb,

Good to have someone who wants to talk football, instead of smack. Eli may be able to check off and hit those 8-9 yard dumps early, but the LSU corners and safties are very good and will adjust to that pretty quickly. No disrespect to Ole Miss, but I think this will not be a close game. I don't think the Ole Miss pass defense will be able to handle Clayton and Henderson, and once the passing game gets going, we can give ball to 5 different running backs. This is by far the best LSU team I have seen in my lifetime.

4. TigahBait

TigahBait Ultimate Tigah Fan

Key thinking

would lead you to believe that LSU is going to blitz every play, sometimes we show blitz but don't. How's Eli going to combat this? He can't. Our defense is led by a smart leader as well and can check off at the line just like Eli. Check the Geargia and La Tech games for the details. The Rebels aren't the only passing attack with a good QB that LSU has or will face this year. As far as hitting the corners, you'd be better off running up the middle because Ole Miss has not seen the speed that LSU has at the corners. Just my independent thoughts. And one more thing GEAUX TIGAHS!!!!!!

5. bhamreb

bhamreb Freshman

You are right... This is probably one of the best LSU teams that I have ever seen... And this is the best Ole Miss team that i have ever seen....

The only way I see it being a close game is if the Rebel D plays their best game yet and if Eli is able to make lots of adjustments to the LSU D....

There is a lot of history in this game... I miss the days when this game was played on halloween.... Talk about some great games... I wish we would go back to that...

6. Ectopic Tiger

Ectopic Tiger Founding Member

Leach did and he burned us twice. We underestimated him. It won't happen again.

7. TigahBait

TigahBait Ultimate Tigah Fan

Yeah, but the "Hunter" wasn't in on D for that one.

8. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Here's my .02 cents worth:

Seriously, it all rests on Manning. Yeah, it's nice and all that Ole Miss averages something like 140 ypg rushing, but c'mon, if Alabama and Auburn couldn't get the job done on the ground, how can Ole Miss?

I did watch most of the Ole Miss-Auburn game and I saw Auburn confound Eli on more than one occasion by changing pre-snap looks at the last second. Frequently, Eli audibled into the wrong play, perhaps why he was sacked 4 times in the game.

No disrespect to Auburn, but LSU's speed at DL and Saban's penchant to blitz from any and everywhere puts an immense amount of pressure on Manning to be perfect, especially (as I think is likely) if Ole Miss gets down early in the game. This isn't just idle smak because LSU has destroyed opponents in the first half so far this year, so odds are they get out front in this one.

Comments?

9. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

Ole Miss will need a running game. If the Rebs get a running game going it will open up the pass. They must be balanced and then on D, the Rebs cannot give up the big plays if they want to stay close.

10. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

Leach did not really burn us kctiger, our LB was so shocked not to get blocked by their RB that he blew coverage....TWICE on the same play.

Eli scares me in that he is a Manning, and he has been successful against LSU in the previous games we have played.

I think Mauck will torch Ole Miss' secondary, leading to Vincent and Broussard having big nights. As long as the defense skeeps coverage on the blitzes, LSU wins by at least 10.