Umpires get to call for extra help?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by IAM4LSU2, Jun 22, 2004.

1. IAM4LSU2

IAM4LSU2 Founding Member

I have a question that maybe someone could answer for me. How can they call the head umpire from the stands to discuss a play they already called one way or another. Is there a rule against this? That just seem right that the people that call the game can get outside help to possibly change a call. I think that is for them to determine later, what do you all think? You all know the call I am speaking of. I dont think I have ever in any sport seem a call changed like that besides instant replay calls in the NFL.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Are you talkin about the play at the plate with the SC kid being thrown out?

Well it was the wrong call and if they convened to get it right. And yes they will confer like that especially in the case of a rules interpretation.

3. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I don't have a problem with it as long as they get it right.

Too bad they didn't do that 3 or 4 batters earlier in the inning ... if they get the runner interference call right at 2nd, the play at home would have never occurred!

4. islstl

Well Texas just got called for interference....so now I am pissed they finally call it.

5. Tiger Lady

Tiger Lady Freshman

I know what you mean. Brantley had the nerve to comment after the replay, "You have to slide--it doesn't matter what the other circumstances are, you have to slide." Texas runner would have been safe, just like South Carolina's would have been, but it seems that, unlike Monday, the NCAA is choosing to actually follow their rules today!

6. islstl

Well I am glad he said that. He is exactly right. What a joke.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yet seemed to forget the actual rule a couple of days ago. brantley and his mullet need to go. give me harold reynolds anyday.