UNCONFIRMED RUMOR...Travis Ford agrees in principle

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by doubledeuce, Apr 2, 2008.

1. TexTiger

TexTiger Founding Member

I love this hire

2. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Fixed it for ya. :thumb:

3. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Well, the new guy will be minus one Anthony Randolph.

4. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Well, this much is official... no one is saying it's official.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/17252849.html?showAll=y&c=y

As for some of the statements above, I think Ford does offer some knowledge of the SEC, he was an All-SEC PG for Kentucky, and he's definitely an up and comer. Has he done SO much with UMass? I guess it depends on your perspective. He has revived a program, that has gone to the final four, after a lull. He has also never coached UMass to the big dance (most recent history... not going to give credit to one year at EKU), a school where he has some history, and recruiting hotbeds, to pull from. His school is averaging 81+ points (I pointed this out in another thread), THIS year, after playing with a more low-post oriented offense last year with Lasme--but he does prefer a more guard oriented, fast pace game. Not sure where the "he's done more" with less talent than Grant comment came from, considering Grant has proven he can recruit, get VCU to the Big Dance, and beat Duke in the NCAAs.

I personally like Grant and Bennett, b/c they IMO have better track records and street cred than Ford. I never said Ford was a BAD coach. The things going for him are: (1) SEC ties, (2) Pitino ties, (3) if you're looking for a "unifyer" does an energetic, white "southern boy" head coach appeal more than the more stoic, black head coach (not playing the race card, but is LSU really ready for a black head coach in a major sport?), and (4) inclined to play a style that might be a welcome change for men's hoops.

Nevertheless, expect big change to come soon. And, I'm honestly not sure how Travis Ford plays with our incoming recruits. For some reason, I don't think as well as an Anthony Grant would have... I hope for our sake that what Parker says is true here, and there will be some real interviewing and debating this weekend at the FF.

:geauxtige LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. ANOTHER FINAL FOUR.

5. doubledeuce

doubledeuce Founding Member

[quote=(not playing the race card, but is LSU really ready for a black head coach in a major sport?),

Im pretty sure that is playing the race card and if you think that LSU is not ready for a black coach then you are ignorant. If we embraced and loved Pokey Chatman why wouldn't we do the same for a successful black coach ala Anthony Grant. LSU fans, like most fans, want wins regardless of skin color.

1 person likes this.
  6. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

7. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Did someone say Race?

1 person likes this.
  8. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

It's a mostly black sport. Why not have a black coach? Just askin'.....Makes sense to me.

9. Berge

Berge Founding Member

I think a black HC would be good for LSU.

Who do you think relates more to the recruits in Louisiana?

I mean, Ford WAS in a The Sixth Man with Marlon Wayans!

10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I'm kinda surprised at why it matters what color he is. Get a good one- regardless of color- and the rest will fall into place.