Underclassmen to the NFL?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MikeD, Sep 14, 2003.

1. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Maurice Clarett has decided that college football isn't worthy of his talents anymore and has asked the NFL to make him eligible for next year's draft. I think that the current rule is good for both the NFL and college football. It gives players time to grow, both physically and mentally, to get ready for life in the NFL. College basketball has been impacted negatively by the amount of players jumping to the NBA after 1 or 2 years in college. Football teams may be more suited to absorbing the loss of 1 or 2 guys early because the size of the roster, but I still think it would be bad for college football. What do you think?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1615847

2. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Actually, I would say that Ohio State pretty much made that decision for him...But it does suck for him because he would have been a top 10 pick no doubt had he been there another two years. But experts are saying that right now, he would be a second round pick....

3. Thibodaux Tiger

Thibodaux Tiger Professional Lurker

i hope the rule doesn't change, i hate the way so many high school kids are jumping to the NBA. its getting out of hand where some of them making the jump arn't even good enough to be in the NBA right now, they are just taking up spots on the roster leaving vetrans without a job.....i'm a HUGE fan of college sports (especially football) and i think it would do serious damage to college football

4. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

While Clarretts talents may be greta enough for the NFL, the majority of kids will not be. Many of them will think they are but the physical maturity gap is too vast.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Its a good rule because 18, 19 and 20 year olds are way less ready for the NFL than some exceptional basketball players are ready for the NBA. The thing is that it will probably be ruled illegal if Clarett has a good lawyer. The NFL is denying him the chance to sell his services. Sooner or later it will come to pass and it will ruin the chances for a lot of young players who think they are good enough to make the jump to pro football when they are not ready. I doubt that there will ever be a Kobe or a Kevin Garnett who goes straight from high school to become an NFL superstar and the kids who don't get drafted will be ineligible to play college football. A lot of them are going to end up flipping burgers or washing cars.

6. SpringTiger

SpringTiger Founding Member

Or stealing cars!

The "hardship" rule, or whatever it is called by which kids leave college early (or skip it entirely) for the NBA has made both the NBA and college basketball worse.

7. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

Could Clarett go to the Canadain Football League?

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Its made college BB worse because some really great players never set foot on a college court but it hasn't hurt the NBA one bit. Those who are good enough play and those who aren't go home. I won't hurt college football too much because one player dosen't have nearly as much chance to dominate a game as in basketball and because of the size of the rosters in football. At first there will be a bunch of not ready for prime time players trying to jump to the big leagues but after a few spectacular failures these kids with the overinflated egos might come to their senses and decide that 3 or 4 years of college football dosen't look so bad after all.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Montreal has his rights but they are on record as saying he should stay in school.

My take is that Clarett has an attitude badly in need of adjustment. He's an immature young man who needs solid adult guidance. His "advisors" including Jim Brown, are nothing more than his posse and are only hurting him by blowing sunshine up his a$$. He needs to be sat down and explained to what this old world is all about. And it's about a whole lot more than Maurice Clarett. Stay in school young man. Concentrate on being a STUDENT-athlete and the rewards will come. He's an extremely gifted individual who can have a great well rounded life. Booya.

10. roygu

roygu Founding Member

I hope the Saints draft Clarett. He doesn't deserve anything better.
    I suspect the guy will be trouble no matter where he goes. However he is young and may grow up some day.