Unfair Rankings!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by flyincoondog, Aug 26, 2004.

1. rickyd

rickyd Founding Member

What bothers me about this is, are we "Last Years National Champions" or " The Defending National Champions"? Seems to me it's awfully hard to defend your position from the #4 spot!:angryfire

2. bubbafong

bubbafong Founding Member

I'm sure there will be references (as there already have been) to us as the "defending national champions", but the truth is, this is a different team. I hate that we're not ranked #1 or #2, but I can't honestly say that I think we should be with the starters we lost, mainly the QB. All of the teams ahead of us in the polls are returning their QB's, so that's probably the one main thing. Besides, it's probably better to have us below Georgia just for motivation's sake. Our boys probably feel like they're not getting the respect they deserve, which can only be a good thing.

Plus, when was the last time we were ranked preseason top 5? It was before I was born. Just a few years ago, any Tiger fan would have just about wet their pants if they were told we'd start the season ranked as high as we are now.

Give it a few weeks. We'll move up.

Here's to hoping VT pulls an upset this weekend!!!

3. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

...."There is only one reason for that ... those teams return a proven QB, we ....don't.
    ....If Mauck would be returning, we would be 2 in the AP and possibly 1 in the ....Coaches poll."

Those "proven" qb's didnt help these other teams last year when they played us. The past 5 or so national champions havent had a "proven" quaterback. They have had a solid running game and a really good defense. give what ever reason you will, i call the rankings biased against LSU. Had a traditional power like Tennessee, Florida, Alabama, or even Georgia won last year, there would be no question as to who was the rightful NC. But since it was LSU, it must have been a fluke, an off year in the SEC.

4. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Well, Saban said the proven QBs are the reason why those other teams are ranked so high ... if it's good enough for Saban, it's good enough for me!

5. flyincoondog

flyincoondog Freshman

:lsug: I'm not upset about the Top 5 pick, I am upset about who is in front of us. I know they have QBs coming back, but I don't think USC should be #1. They play in one of the weakest confrences in college football! I'm more upset that they were #1 at the end of last season. I know that we have our work cut out for us, and to tell you the truth, being in the lower end of the top 5 might actually be a blessing in disguise. Might take some pressure off some of these young players. I don't feel that LSU got the respect it deserved at the end of last season or the beginning of this one.
    :lsug: :champs:

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, I ain't so rash as to proclaim that the Tigers will definitely repeat as National Champion, it's a long season and a tough schedule. And this is a different team, certainly.

But LSU is for damn sure the Defending National Champions until someone wins the Orange Bowl in January 2005. :lsug: :champs: :lsup: :geaux:

7. ABeaver

ABeaver Founding Member

If you were number one it would have only lasted until Sept. 4th anyway. Probably better your let down now rather than have gotten your hopes up so early in the season and then get whipped on the 4th. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Go find the smack board, Skippy. We only allow men in here.

9. friday

friday Founding Member

get off the crack pipe, son. your team will be lucky to generate 200 yds of offense.

In my unbiased, humble opinion, I think OU should be the #1 team in college football. better them, than LSU. just ask Auburn about that dreaded position.

10. SG_Geaux

SG_Geaux Founding Member

There was no way in HELL that USC would be anything BUT #1 in both polls to start this year.

Hell, the AP will put em in the Orange with 3 losses this year if they can get away with it.