Uniform change...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by dallaslsufan, Apr 30, 2004.

1. TigerStagg

TigerStagg Founding Member

I wouldn’t mind if Saban mixed in some alternate unis. It’s tradition to wear white at home since the 50’s. But we also wore gold jerseys, in addition to purple, in the 20’s, 30’s, & 40’s. It shouldn’t be a sin to wear gold once in a while. No more than one game every year or two. I think it’s be cool to mix in an all-white combo – helmet, jersey, pants.

In my recollection our alternative unis of the nineties were as follows:

Kentucky 95 Road (L) – gold helmets, white jerseys/with stripes, purple pants/no stripes – NEVER AGAIN

Vanderbilt 96 Home (W) – gold helmets, shiny gold jerseys/no stripes, white pants/no stripes - NUMBERS WERE WHITE W/ NO OUTLINE & IMPOSSIBLE TO SEE

Notre Dame 97 I bowl (W) – white helmets, shiny gold jerseys/no stripes, white pants/with stripes - I THOUGHT THIS LOOK WAS PRETTY COOL.

Florida 98 Road (L) – gold helmets, dull gold jerseys/no stripes, white pants/stripes - SHARPEST ALTERNATIVE LOOK IMO, BUT KEEP THE SHOULDER STRIPES, NUMBERS WERE OUTLINED IN PURPLE AND EASY TO READ

Now a separate issue. We are about the only team in the country that wears white shoes. Saban made that change from the DiNardo regime in year 1. I don’t mind it. It’s very NFL. Black shoes might look cooler. What are your thoughts?

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No, we don't. We need to look like LSU. Just look at the yellow jersey in the photo above, it looks like friggin' Tennessee!

There is plenty of color! Our bright gold is almost unique in CFB and there is plenty of purple trim. The white sets off the purple and gold, in fact.

3. TigerStagg

TigerStagg Founding Member

There is certainly validity to sticking entirely to the traditional uniform. Could you imagine the Yankees, Celtics, Steelers, or Packers getting cute with color combinations? Classic is classic for a reason.

4. BB

BB Founding Member

Have you seen the LSU Helmets used prior to 1980? I'm sure the change was awful at the time, but we love it now. Don't be such a stick in the mud. Remember how everyone hated the new Denver Broncos uni's and the new LSU logo? They seem like they fit now...

The school colors are Purple and Gold.

5. VanGeaux

VanGeaux Founding Member

I am still waiting to see someone photoshop, purple jerseys, purple pants and gold helmets.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Gawd, how high-school looking can you get? That sounds like a uniform you'd see in the SWAC.

A Tiger receiver in the 80's said, "white shoes make me look faster". If they make them feel faster, it's alright by me.

7. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

We can't change our unis. We are one of a very few schools who wear whit at home, and I like being unique. Besides how can you possibly improve the most perfect uniform in college football.

8. BB

BB Founding Member

We aren't asking anyone to move Tiger Stadium, some of us would just like to see the SCHOOL COLORS worn by the football team at home more often. White gets a little old and I think it sucks when a team with dominating colors like Tennessee, Florida, Ole Miss, Alabama, Georgia, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, etc. comes into Tiger Stadium and looks that damn good...

9. TigerFan101

TigerFan101 Founding Member

I agree COMPLETLY... How could you perfect a uniform that is already perfect.

I would take white over purple any day for our home games, but I do like the fact that we dont wear the exact same uniform every single time.

10. JoeReckless

JoeReckless Founding Member

White Unis RULE! It looks like we are wearing school colors to me.