Uniform question

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CrouchingTigers, Sep 20, 2003.

1. CrouchingTigers

CrouchingTigers Freshman

Congrats on your win over the Dawgs.

Out of curiosity, why does LSU choose to wear its white jerseys at home?

2. StarscreamLSU

StarscreamLSU Founding Member

To be honest -- I have no clue. I've been told something different by everyone, so I'm not even sure there is one reason. Of the explanations I've heard I think it's most likely a tradition thing. I also suspect it may have something to do with heat.

3. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

Tradition...before the NCAA mandated colors at home, LSU always wore white at home. Since the rule-change allowed the home team to request wearing white (with the visiting team's approval) LSU (and any other NCAA team) can wear either colors or white at home.

LSU wore purple last week at home. Saban (from what I hear) has them wear the colors for the second home non-conference game.

Incidentally, I was at the LSU-Vandy game several years ago (after the rule change). Vandy refused to allow LSU to wear white. They were still mad about LSU stealing DiNardo away from them. LSU wore all-gold uniforms. The crowd was about 90% clad in white shirts. It looked like it snowed in Tiger Stadium. LSU also hit Vandy for a blizzard of points. You'd think Vandy wouldn't want to make their opponents mad!

4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I loved the Gold Jersyes. I wish we would wear them every so often. Also today Skip made a presentation to Vince Dooley and the announcer at the game said something LSU would not be able to wear white at home without the help of Dooley.

5. llahsram

llahsram Founding Member

I was at that Vandy game. We wore gold jerseys with white numbers (made it hard to read the numbers), and I think it was actually solid white pants. We later updated those style of unis when we played Notre Dame in the Indy Bowl.

6. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

I remember that the numbers on the gold jerseys were white with no outline...you couldn't read the numbers. I only knew the players when they were in formation...and of course I knew Kevin Faulk...he was always jumping around...trying to pump up the Tigers!