Unions/Union Workers

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by CParso, Apr 7, 2008.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Are they bad for America?

Could they be made illegal? Should they be?

Discuss.

2. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Labor unions side with the Democrats, just like homosexuals. That means they are liberals that stand for everything wrong with this country.

In another thread, Red was talking about how the income gap between CEOs and employees has approached insanely astronomically proportions. I've seen that same anti-American rhetoric on labor union sites when I tried to see what these liberal groups were up to.

I'm not sure if I agree with the working man and his attempts to come together to collectively bargain with management. What the hell do employees know?

Management should be allowed to have no pressure from employees and their silly ideas. Our government should understand this. That's insane that the government would set a minimum wage that all employers must pay their employees.

It's ridiculous to think that anybody supports the idea of a popularly-elected government or labor union that has any right to interfere with management's decision to determine the wages and conditions of their employees.

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

:rofl: :rofl:

*Tiga pinchin himself*

4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

so, he did just type that?

5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

No company ever got a union that didn't deserve one IMO. At one time, they were an absolute necessity to force companies into providing even basic things like safety and a decent wage. At this point many have become nothing more than professional extortionists that have made some companies uncompetitive and unproductive.

The cost of labor has been at least one reason why plenty of American companies have outsourced to places like India. A customer service rep for Del doesn't need a PhD or to make wide ranging decisions. By the time one considers the fully burdened cost of a homegrown version, it's possible to be in the $25/hr range. Bombay can deliver an equally inadequate version for $2/hr.

No, I don't think they should be made illegal. I do think that some jobs should never be allowed to strike such as transportation, refuse removal, law enforcement.

6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

:insane:

So, you're saying "phuck the employees. whatever the man wants, the man gets."?
    Where do you think these managers and owners came from? Did they just morph here from some other reality? Or did they know nothing until receiving the title of owner, then suddenly knew things?

Come back to me when you lose a job to a lesser educated/qualified immigrant who was "cheaper".

7. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

You people are worried about losing jobs to non-Americans? Try non-humans. Robot assembly lines at the auto plants. I saw a cute little commercial in recent history showing one of these robot auto assemblers laid off... and how sad the robot was to lose his "job."

Just today, I was calling up one of my information providers, and I don't go straight to a human, I first go to a menu where I press buttons on the phone to navigate. That, I'm used to by now, but the thing I'm still not used to, was that when I needed to talk to someone about my bill and service problems, I get another, more advanced computer... I hit "00" and the computer tells me that it appreciates that I'd like to talk to an operator, but that the computer wants to learn more about what my problem is first before it allows me the right to talk to a fellow human being. Fortunately, I got lucky today, and my vocal "search terms" were satisfactory enough to the computer's voice and term recognition, that on my first try it deemed me worthy of speaking to a fellow human. I was actually pretty happy about that. Normally, when I deal with this computer, I get infuriated with how crappy its software is, and how pathetic it is that I have to deal with this as a step in getting human customer service from the business I give my business to.

8. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

For the most part

No
    No

That would make a great opening argument in court.:rofl:

9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

That was tirk.

10. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I agree with you that some unions can be come corrupt, but human corruption is a risk in all corners of humanity.

But as for the Indian customer-service reps, I've had to deal with them as well. Seriously got infuriated at least one time when the guy's English was so bad I couldn't understand a word he was saying, especially since call-center Americans are minimum wage workers (not Ph Ds), and that's crap that a company would be that cheap to save a few bucks by hiring an Indian call-center guy over an American when it comes to dealing with customer service calls from people that speak English.