Unions/Union Workers

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by CParso, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I've lost a job to an in-experienced, but "cheap" Mexican. Why pay the guy who's busted his arse for 3 years, moved his way up, when Pablo is willing to do it for half the price?

if only we had unions to help prevent things like this from happening.

2. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

One of my best friends, my cousin, works up in the Midwest. He is heavily pro-Union (and, thus, heavily pro-Democrat). He mocks Louisiana and similar states because he claims we are "non-Union states."

Being that I come from family of blue collar workers (carpenters, auto mechanics), I very much tend to with workers over management, and that's one strong point I like about the Democrat party, and that one strong point I dislike about the Republican party.

I myself have gone on strike in the middle of a job when the rest of my fellow pipe-fitters and I found out that we wouldn't be getting the wages that management promised us before we agreed to be on the night crew. It had nothing to do with a Union (we had no organization as workers together), it was all based on word-of-mouth. Straight grass-roots.

A portion of the guys didn't go on strike, went right out there into the infrastructure of the plant and started working. I respected that, in fact, that's normally the way I play things. But in this case, what was going was so wrong that it was pretty obvious, to me, that we'd win. And we did win. Management backed down, agreed to give us the wage that they had originally promised us, and even threw us a really nice luxurious-style dinner party to show how sorry they were (which I thought was a nice touch), and also bought us all gift certificates to Walmart (which I thought was somewhat cheesy, but still pretty much a cash bonus).

3. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I think you have finally lost it.

1 person likes this.
  4. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Finally?? :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

call it what you want, but that's union activity right there.

1 person likes this.
  6. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

I hadn't figured out who he was trying to insult, homos or democrats.

1 person likes this.
  7. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I agree.

8. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

This is one of the most ignorant comments I have ever seen. Union workers are not any lazier than non-union counterparts. A major client of mine has several union and non-union plants. The union plants are all more profitbale, have better productivity, and have much smaller labor and materials variances.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Geez, another knee-jerk fascist.

Anti-American rhetoric? Well, pardon the fugg out of me! You apparently understand nothing about the constitution or democracy.

Typical Neo-con republican dogma. Big business should run the country instead of its citizens, as the Constitution directs. Workers should have no rights, they are serfs to be treated any way the barons want to. All rights belong to Big Business and their lobbyists, not to The People.

I think I have Lord John figured out now. :dis:

1 person likes this.
  10. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

you shouldnt be surprised considering the source.

1 person likes this.