Unrealistic Expectations - Victory Syndrome?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bandit88, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Have Tiger fans already forgotten how bad the 90s were and how good the last 5 years have been? Is the standard now a national championship or nothing?

I get the sense that some Tiger fans will now only be happy with a perfect season.

I'm not talking about normal analysis and sunday-morning quarterbacking. I'm talking about full-up moaning that we're ONLY #6 and in the SECCG. I'm talking about posts that hint at a failed season if the Vols pull one on us tomorrow.

Personally, I'm grateful to have the chance to even consider it disappointing to no longer be #1 after having that spot TWICE this year and being in the Top 5 all year until NOW.

Thoughts? Are we spoiled brats and unrealistic?

1 person likes this.
  2. mauitiger

mauitiger Founding Member

I personally enjoy the reaction to the losses.

A national championship SHOULD be the standard.

One of the first steps in turning a mediocre team into a title contender year in and year out is to get fans to start believing.

That has already happened at LSU.

Next thing you know the fans won't accept anything less than a NC.

Then when it comes to a coaching search the AD says.....Man, I'd better get someone in here that can produce a NC.

If we could get coaches and players that would not accept anything less than a NC then we start talking about LSU winning multiple NC's and being mentioned as one of the top programs in CFB history.

1 person likes this.
  3. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Great point. That just might kill my thread.....where's SabanFan?

4. phlashman

phlashman Founding Member

I agree, we do have a higher bar to cross. But we all need to catch our breath once and a while and remember this "college" football not the NFL. You cant go and "buy" better players etc.

:tigereye::tigereye::tigereye::tigereye::tigereye::tigereye:

5. kcal

kcal Founding Member

ah....therein lies the rub.... only a myopic or foolish person would say it isn't a very, very good year to play in the seccg.

6. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I moan and I groan but I know this is much better than those dark times you speak of.

Still, LSU is in a unique situation in college football and has far more potential to be great than most schools. I think wondering how close our coaches came to realizing our potential is fair.

:geauxtige Beat the florescent orange hound dogs all the way back to rocky top.

7. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

This may sound insane, and almost like I want to have a worse football team, but that's not the case.

I enjoyed the 90's. Not the losing, just the different way of perceiving those seasons. The last few years have been great and in no way do I want the ride to end, but it was much easier to be a Tiger fan in the 90's.

Going to the games with nothing more than an ice chest some food and a little hope was a whole lot of fun. Every win was an upset. We had nothing to lose and everything to gain. All of that hope was turned into reality when Saban came to Baton Rouge. That first 8 win season and a trip to the Peach Bowl was one hell of a ride. Every week was a blast. It just got better from there.

The success is wonderful. It's what the game is all about. But with it comes responsibility. We had to maintain the status, which we have, but the games are harder to enjoy. If I'm not mistaken we have been favored in every game we have played for almost 3 years. When you get to that level only two things can happen. You win because you are supposed to, or you get upset. There is no more ladder to climb except the MNC.

I was there all through the 90's, I'm here now, and I'll be here when this thing declines. And it will decline eventually. Nobody stays at this level forever.

WHat I'm saying is, while all this success is amazing, I kinda miss the days when I woke up on gameday hoping we could find a way to win. I was rarely disappointed, because my expectations are low. Now I wake up on gameday knowing we are going to win, and all that can happen is whats supposed to, or we lose.

With all that said, yes we blew an opportunity this year. But it was still a great season, even though it probably has came within inches of claiming a few tiger fan lives by way of cardiac arrest.

8. tigerdro

tigerdro GEAUX TIGERS!

yes. this season has been something. let's see, we had:

near death experiences (lots of close games)
    suspense (coach departures and last second game deciders)
    drama off the field (perrilloux, odom, etc.)
    drama on the field (cheap shot on dorsey - drama with or without intent)
    drama on TF (but that's not really new, is it?)
    the loss of a true LSU Tiger (mike v)
    a healthy dose of animal planet with mike vi
    broken hearts
    shattered dreams
    injuries out the wazoo
    heroic efforts on the field
    good deeds off the field (some of those guys are truly big hearted)
    foot races (holliday/hester)
    crash and burn plays (interceptions/fumbles)
    smashing hard hits (steltz/highsmith/beckwith and company)
    the honor of watching Mr. Dorsey beat down the double teams on him
    lots and lots of screaming and yelling (for good and bad)
    a shot at being champion of the best conference in the NCAA
    a whole helluva lot of fun (tailgaiting, tv with friends, tiger stadium)

yep! i'm a bit sad it's winding down now. been way more entertaining than anything else over the last year. it's been a great Tiger Football season. i wouldn't trade it in for anything.

1 person likes this.
  9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Anyone who can do any kind of "Normal analysis" can easily see why there's so much regret to what should have been and no, we haven't forgotten about the 90's, we get reminded of that everyday.

You people who say that sound like my grandmother who used to tell us about how it was with no electricity but I don't expect to not have a light come on when I flip a switch, today.

10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

And you got to meet me. :grin: