Update on Priest Willis

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by Milesthebest, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Milesthebest

Milesthebest Veteran Member

I will link the entire free article below but it gives good news on Willis (DB) for LSU chances. He is coming for his official on August 10th. Also an interesting story about Ron Cooper's + and - as a DB coach. I think most of us knew this already that he was a superb DB coach...they mention that LSU's passing defense went from 73rd best to 8th best in 3 years (I do think for full disclosure they could have said that also includes Chavis coming to LSU). If you remember, Cooper replaced Mallory as the DB coach and Chavis replaced Peveto/Mallory as the DC. But Cooper was actually a pretty bad recruiter and had the same interest in recruiting that Bo Pellini has stated publicity...it bores them apparently and it showed recently with some guys that shouldn't have been offered...I will put in the name David Jenkins but Gibson is another example. That is why they are so thin in the secondary with 3 secondary guys signed within the last couple of years leaving the program in the spring. Also, seems like a chance that Gilmore will be at LSU August 10th which I think would be a good thing to hopefully talk about playing on the same defense with Willis. Gilmore of course is the coveted DT from North Carolina..Willis from Arizona.

http://www.tigersportsworld.com/showthread.php?1471-Priest-Willis-set-to-visit-LSU&p=6818#post6818

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Willis is as near a "must get" recruit as we've had all year. We need CBs pretty badly as Milesthebest indicated. We'll need as many hands on deck going into the 2013 campaign and Willis would be an excellent addition to compete for a starting spot next year.

3. Milesthebest

Milesthebest Veteran Member

I don't understand this but some sources had UCLA coming up fast for Willis. I pretty much always had it as an LSU/USC battle and USC is out of it because they don't have the scholarships to offer another DB since they are still under NCAA probation limits. I think Mora, Jr will fizzle out just like Neuheisal did at UCLA. Remember the full page ad that RN put in USA Today or the LA Times where he talked about UCLA is back. :rolleyes: Guess we know how that worked out for Ricky and my guess is the exact same thing is going to happen to UCLA under Mora, Jr....i.e. absolutely nothing. Plus, Willis' dad/stepdad in that article seems to really love LSU the way he was ignored by Cooper when he sent in a video of his son and then when LSU changed DB coaches to Raymond, he sent in the video again. I think he understands that no school has put out lately the DBs that LSU has into the pros.

4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

UCLA has been on the map for a long time with him. Many unofficial visits last summer and for games this year.

5. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

A recent Rivals article pegs this guy to be a pair with Tahaan Goodman, a DB they have listed as the No. 49th recruit. I searched the board, but couldn't find any word on Goodman at all.

There are also a few other guys with LSU on the short list, all of whom are projected to go elsewhere.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1457820

6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I'm one that doesn't fall into that "Must Get" Player. Jalen Mills, Vadal Alexander, Debo Jones, Kwon Alexander, etc. didn't fall into that "Must Get" line, but all did well, some very well this year. If we get the kid great, if we don't, move on. Worry about the ones you have on campus, those are your "Glad to Get" players. You do know Jalen Mills was by most services, the lowest rated player in last years class, wasn't even the best CB on his team in Tx. The kid played in all 13 games and finished 4th on the team in tackles, with 2 Ints and 5 passes broken up. I was glad to get Mills.

7. rockwallfan

rockwallfan Founding Member

glad to get him, i guess, but never fully comfortable having him there. maybe sophomore year will be better.

8. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Rock, I remember one of those "Must Get" players, Joe McKnight 2007, usc signed 10 Five star players that year. An LSU, we won it all that year.

9. rockwallfan

rockwallfan Founding Member

yea, it stung to have mcknight leave state. i felt a little better as his career played out.

10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

The former editor of P&G magazine and I were talking at the Bash when Joe made his choice. I made a prediction, an just about everything I said, came to pass.