Update: Tua Tagovailoa remains firmly committed to Bama

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Cajun Sensation, Nov 30, 2016.

1. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Don't shoot the messenger. :D

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

You forgot that 1 year with the Raida's between USC and Tennessee. Although your point is well-taken. Lane wants to be a HC before he wants to be OC again.

3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I'd forgotten that Saban hired a great, but not so honest recruiter in Tosh Lupoi. That Samoan brotherhood is very strong. The Tagovailoa's probably wouldn't still be on board if it weren't for Tosh. He was slated to follow Sardrunkian to USC but when we got wind that he was under NCAA investigation after the track coach of recruit Andrew Basham alleged that Lupoi paid him $4,500 to cover the costs of Basham's tutoring services and reimbursement for online classes, he became persona non grata.

And of course there's Tui Talia....a Cali recruit who Tosh recruited to the Huskies but then Tui flipped to Oregon. Re-enter Tosh to recruit Tui again, only this time to USC.....when he didn't even have the job yet.

Cajun Sensation likes this.
  4. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Gotta believe that a couple if not just 1 of those gigs was to get Monte in the package. I think Tenn. was big on getting them both

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Yeah it was Tennessee and I wanna say they had Eric Berry too. But the Tampa 2 doesn't work without stellar cornerback play. I still think 7-6 isn't that bad when you think of what happened when Fulmer declined and Dooley was the coach. Or was he after Kiffin. I can't remember

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

The 2nd stint at USC was definitely a Lane/Monte deal. Of course that was payback because PC was Monte's protege at one time. You not only need stellar cornerbacks, but players who really understand the game....they need smarts. Our players struggled with Tampa 2 and the fans struggled with the bend don't break philosophy that Monte loved. I spoke to a coach back then who said that it was almost funny to watch the player's faces when Monte got fired up and tried to teach....said it may as well have been in another language, lol.

Monte resigned after the 2012 season.....otherwise Lane would have had to fire his old ass.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

When I was smoking weed I could remember all this shit, since I've stopped i can't remember shit. I thought Monte was with him at Tennessee. Maybe he was and just went to SC with Lane.

8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

What I think happened was that Monte was with the Bucs and things had started to go South with their D around the same time Lane had taken over the Vols. I think Gruden didn't want Monte leaving mid-season so he didn't but he stopped being an active coach. That Tennessee gig was only one year for Lane so when he came back to USC, he brought Monte. Keep in mind that Lane took that job right after sanctions were announced. I don't know anyone else who was even interested. The idea of dealing with sanctions but getting Lane and Monte sure looked good at the time.

9. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I got it!

10. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

i thought he was hired a few months before the sanctions were announced.
    everyone knew they were coming, just not when or how severe?