Updated NCAA RPIs?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by friday, Feb 17, 2005.

1. friday

friday Founding Member

where can you find this info? it seems as though anything worth a crap on espn.com is in their pay service, insider. can someone direct me or post updated rpi's? thanks.

2. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I use College RPI, but they only update every Sunday.

Gumborue provided this link awhile back, Team Rankings. Not sure how accurate this site is, but we are up to 40 this morning.

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

thanks for the credit.

i read somewhere that teamrankings made the rpi used by the ncaa selection committee and when you go to their site http://teamrankings.com/ncb/tips.php3 on the left it says "rpi ratings used by the ncaa selection committee". but you read in their faq and it says to their knowledge it is not (women's nit uses it). so i dont know what the hell the stuff on the left margin is referring to. must be just that rpi is used but not this specific one. i dont know.

on a little different topic. i was very surprised to see that mejia (of sportsline) predicted lsu to win last night by 8, but he got the score wrong.
    http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/exclusives/mejia

4. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I found this Q&A section on college RPI, it answers some of our questions. Apparently, the NCAA now makes their rpi formula public ... it wasn't like that in years past.

College RPI Q&A

5. friday

friday Founding Member

thanks for checking this out for us, TW. after last night's gutty win and the season winding down, I'm keen on following this. now, if we can beat FL and Bama, it'll all be moot.

6. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

It looks like from the formula that it would be very beneficial to play weak teams on the road and stronger teams at home. If you win against the weak team, it counts as 1.4 wins but if you lose it only counts as .6 of a loss. Since you are more likely to beat a weaker team (even on the road), you might as well try to work out your schedule so you get more benefit in the RPI calculation.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Good points. the problem may be that it would be awfully hard to convince the good OOC teams to only play at your place.

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

seems to me that the real problem would be that you lose too many home games which is as bad as a road win is good.