Updates from watching the football practice today...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by vesperiaLSU, Apr 18, 2013.

1. vesperiaLSU

vesperiaLSU Veteran Member

Just came back from the open practice this afternoon and would like to give you guys a heads-up on what you can expect to see this Saturday based on I saw today:

The good [​IMG]
    1. Anthony Jennings looks really sharp fundamentally as a true freshmen QB as he put the ball right on money 80% of the time, and was able to extend the play with his leg. Honestly I think he will become the No.2 QB when the season begins;

2. The overall performances from the WRs are decent. OBJ3 and Landry still look like the most sure-handed receivers we have, while Travin Dural(deep), Avery Peterson(deep), and John Diarse(slot) all contribute during practice. The drops are there, but not as often.

3. Mett shows some pre-snap good read and releases the ball really fast. Also his footwork continues to improve.

4. Kenny Hilliard receives the most reps among all RBs and he sure looks lighter and faster compared to last season. Blue still wears Green Jersey but was running between tackles with good speed.

5. Defense was playing handcuffed, but there were still several guys who stood out to me among others: Jordan Allen, Dwayne Thomas, and Tahj Jones. Plus, the entire defensive team seems to have great atmosphere as they joke around with each other and celebrates together after one making a big play.

The bad [​IMG]
    1. Steven Rivers had one nice 40 yard TD pass to Armand Williams but other than that, he looks more like a rookie than AJ does: bad read, holding on to the ball too long, bad pocket awareness, overthrow his target. Not trying to bash this kid as I actually like him this whole time, but he has a lot to improve to keep AJ from surpassing him.

2. Mett still struggles with the deep ball from time to time and his decision making was questionable as he was picked off by Dwayne Thomas later in the practice.

3. The offensive line's pass protection draws some concerns during the practice as they failed to pick up blitz several times. Coach Stud and Miles apparently weren't too happy about their performance.

4. There were several blown coverages by the LBs and some young DBs, which are not quite a surprise.

The ugly [​IMG]
    The TEs are definitely more involved in this passing game, but they didn't live up to the expectations. Whether it's Dillon Gordon, Logan Stokes, or Travis Dickson, none of them seems to be able to catch those easy passes. It appears that 90% of the balls thrown to them ended up getting dropped. The TEs corp has a lot to work on during Fall camp, and they can use some help from DeSean Smith.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Thanks for the update homie. I wouldn't care if AJ2K13 surpassed everyone including Mett. Love everything about this kid.

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

That has been consistent regarding Rivers since last year and Jennings since he has enrolled.

4. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

We can't have a QB named AJ...we just can't. Find another name! LOL

About the TE's...I wonder if that's WHY they haven't been used. It makes sense, honestly. Hopefully, Smith can break the trend.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Maybe we can bring some dignity to those 2 letters.

Attack Tiger likes this.
  6. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Let me just say that I have seen Smith play and he will not have the same problem. The guy has excellent hands.

7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Been thinking the exact same thing. What a terrible association.

Attack Tiger likes this.