Urban Meyer and his so-called "success"......

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by STRIPES, Feb 22, 2005.

1. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

Compare the situations Miles and Meyer walked into, then tell me who did a better job. Miles is going make road kill of Tennessee, Florida AND Alabama. LSU, not Florida, snagged the primo coach.

2. friday

friday Founding Member

get off the crack pipe, dude. he may be the real deal as you say, but that doesn't mean his schemes will be as effective in the SEC. that gimmicky spread offense may be able to shred the likes of BYU and Air Force but the speed of SEC defenders will limit the WR screen to two yards, not the big play seen so often last year against the WAC's terrible defenses. before you enshrine urban myer into the college football hall of fame, let's wait and see what he does with talent against the best teams in the country.

furthermore, why do you think LSU will lose to Tenn, Bama and UF? it's a little early to be making those bold predictions, IMO.

3. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

OK, this just sealed my opinion, based on your track record of remarkably ignorant posts. Meyer must be a truly terrible coach.

4. ExoticGlass1

ExoticGlass1 Founding Member

so i guess since that sorry a&m team beat ok state what does that say about miles? please don't cry and give excuses, you need to get out of your bubble. fact is he is a good coach and will have a lot of talent at florida. he turned around two programs while playing the same schedule each year and not going for a softer one. there was a reason he was high on so manys list and you can believe that hes a better coach than who was just run out of florida. its one thing to be a big lsu fan but if you don't understand football you shouldn't talk about things you don't know. i'm not a meyer fan and i hate florida but i'm not gonna say he isn't a good coach just because he moved into the sec, i'll just stay out of your bubble.

5. Randy70

Randy70 Founding Member

Underestimating your opponent has never been a good thing to do. Although I accept your point that Meyer is untested against SEC competition, his credentials are solid. I believe that the best source on how good a team is or how good they can be are the major sports books. They do the most research and have the most to lose (millions of dollars) if their handicapping is wrong. Of course they are not always right. Olympic Sports (www.thegreek.com), one of biggest and most respected internet betting sites, has made Florida one of its favorites to win the Rose Bowl (BCS Championship). They have only USC and Miami rated ahead of Florida. LSU is tied for 5th with Oklahoma and Texas. I was shocked when I saw this.
    We should expect a close, hard fought game when we play them this year. We owe them from the last time they came to Baton Rouge and gave us the only blemish on our National Championship season.
    I have never understood why people talk trash about their opponents. I was taught that you should sing praises and exalt the greatness of your opponent because it is the greatness of your foe that glorifies your accomplishment of competing against him.

6. studentsect

studentsect Founding Member

Over the last 4 years Meyer has lost to the following teams:
    Western Michigan, Marshall, Miami OH, Northern Illinois, South Florida, Toledo, New Mexico, and Texas A&M (4-7)

His wins of note:
    2001 Missouri (4-7), Northwestern (4-7), Temple (4-7)
    2002 Missouri (5-7), Kansas (2-10)
    2003 Cal(8-6), Oregon (8-5), Southern Miss (9-4)
    2004 Texas A&M (7-5), Pittsburg (8-4), Arizona (3-8), UNC (6-6)

Next season Meyers plays at least 5 teams (Tenn, UGA, LSU, Fla St., Bama....maybe South carolina) that will be bigger, faster, stronger, better conditioned and better coached than any team he has faced yet. If he wins 3/5, then I'll believe he is for real.

7. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

In all fairness, the sports books aren't making the spreads. The spreads simply reflect the betting activity of the knuckleheads that bet through them.

8. STRIPES

STRIPES Founding Member

Well, for the posters who are in denial about Meyer.....

Let's look at the reality of what Meyer is up against.

1-Tennessee-Fulmer is a proven SEC head coach who has won several SEC Titles and an NC at Tennessee. Tennessee is returning two pretty good
    Soph. QB's and is also returning one of the top 2 Offensive Lines in the SEC,
    along with LSU. Tennessee just had what many consider the #1 recruiting class in the country.

2-UGA-Mark Richt has won an SEC Title and played in a second SEC Championship game since he took over at UGA. UGA has recruited well in the last several years and will be one of the favorites to win the SEC East next year.

3-South Carolina-Steve Spurrier is an absolute coaching legend in the SEC and has 5 or 6 SEC Titles and an NC to his credit. Spurrier also has had NFL head coaching experience. Spurrier's coaching ability is unquestioned and he understands the passing offense as well as any head coach in the country.

Now, let's look at Coach Urban Meyer. A head coach for 4 years total and all of that was in NON-BCS conferences against MAC and Mountain West competition. Urban Meyer has won a Mountain West Conference Title.
    Urban Meyer had success running his spread offense against the likes of
    Utah State, Colorado State, BYU, New Mexico, UNLV,San Diego State,
    Wyoming, and a horrible University of Arizona team.

I just don't see how anyone can rationally say that Urban Meyer is going to have immediate success at UF going against 3 SEC head coaches of the stature of Spurrier, Fulmer, and Richt in his own division. How can anyone actually believe that Meyer is going to out-coach any of those guys? his track record at Bowling Green and Utah doesn't demonstrate that he has EVER coached against that caliber of coach and staff and certainly not on a consistant basis.

Then there is the fact that UF has undoubtedly had matchup problems on
    both lines of scrimmage in the last 2-3 years when going against physical teams. Mississippi State ran all over UF last year for crying out loud.
    then there is the fact that UF lost several key players such as channing Crowder and a couple of linemen after Zook was fired.

To expect anything more than a 3rd place finish in the SEC East for UF this coming year is based on nothing but smoke and mirrors. UF is going to have trouble finishing any better than 7-4. That's reality.

9. STRIPES

STRIPES Founding Member

Hey, "Glass", that same Texas A&M team beat Meyer in 2003....

However, that isn't and never was the point.

The point is that I don't see anyone saying that Les Miles is going to come into the SEC and become some "terror" in the conference. However, there is no doubt that Miles inherited a much more talented team at LSU than Meyer inherited at UF.

Some of you guys apparently just don't realize how limited UF's talent really is or how many key players UF lost off last year's UF team.

However, reality never enters the conversation with fans who don't really have a clue about what they are talking about. Posters like that just try to deflect reality by interjecting B.S. into a thread.

However, since YOU brought up Les Miles, Urban Meyer is at best an unproven head coach and in fact has less head coaching experience than Miles. Urban Meyer has NEVER coached in a BCS conference and has made his supposed mark against competition that is weak and questionable at best.
    I suppose now you will compare Miles coaching in the Big 12 against
    Mack Brown/Texas; Stoops/OU; Snyder/Kansas State to coaching in the MAC and Mountain West.

Hillarious.

10. axd9142

axd9142 Founding Member

Whats wrong about Meyer being a good coach. I mean is that so bad?