Urban Meyer and his so-called "success"......

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by STRIPES, Feb 22, 2005.

1. ExoticGlass1

ExoticGlass1 Founding Member

Re: Hey, "Glass", that same Texas A&M team beat Meyer in 2003....

NO, i won't compare anyone's coaching because of what schools they played or whatever. my point is that he has been successful where he coached at regardless, i guess what spurrier did before going to florida didn't mean anything. if all you do is look at stats then you really don't understand the game. i also don't see the hype about meyers, just a bunch of crying by people like you every time his name is brought up. as i see it miles has got a lot of good rep since he was hired but i guess you feel he should be written about every week. one day you might understand that arlicles and stats don't make a coach great, its actually what they do with the players they have. in recent history you can look at three major coaches that had really good stats and coached for major schools such as nebraska, georgia and ohio state, going by stats those coaches should have never lost their jobs.

2. friday

friday Founding Member

how does this mean diddly poo? your statement would lead me to believe that urban meyer will be playing with his Utah team next year in the SEC. you don't think the players he's inheriting at Florida aren't "bigger, faster, stronger, better conditioned" than his utah team?

I'm still trying to figure out why some people on this board have taken this urban meyer thing to the extent of bashing LSU. is it because LSU didn't get urban meyer? well, the jury is still out on which school got the better coach. so, to have formulized an opinon this early is crazy. meyer is definately a good coach, but a good coach does not always make a championship team. as we have seen, there is little margin for error in the SEC. the coaches can put their players in a position to succeed but ultimatley players win championships. if this is about myles, you may want to wait until we see the product before people start coming to conclusions about records and championships next year. at least wait until spring football's finished!

3. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

OK, this is the first time I've heard Urban Meyer and the LSU job linked together. Hell, let's go dig up some old bones and moan about not hiring Spurrier in 1987...

LSU won the coaching contest. Look at the situations inherited and the condition of the program when they left. What how quickly Oklahoma State returns to being...welll, Oklahoma State.

4. studentsect

studentsect Founding Member

I did not say this proves he will not succeed, I was just pointing out the lack of proof that he will.
    Since you bring it up, yes, I think Florida's players will be "bigger, faster, stronger, better conditioned" than his utah team, but I think the differences in talent levels as far as defenses faced will be greater than the differences in talent levels offensively. Alex Smith was more than likely the best QB to ever play at Utah, and his skills made him better for Meyers offense than Florida's best returning offensive player, Chris Leak (yes i know he will adapt the offense for leak, but how well will the adaptations work?). Utah's offensive and defensive lines were stronger, for the most part, than the teams they were playing against- Florida's were, for the most part, not.
    As I said before, this does not prove he will fail, it just proves that no one can say for sure, one way or the other, what will happen.

5. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Urban Meyer will eventually be a good coach in the SEC. It wouldn't surprise me to see him with 1-2 SEC Titles within the next 6 years.

BUT

Next season he will not come close to the winning the SEC nor the East. His team has little experience or pure strength up front on defense and they have to install a new offense. Yes, I have heard how he has no system....he does....it's a much more wide open system that leaves the QB to many more hits. That may work against Utah's opponents and Bowling Green's opponents but it will not work, IMO, against the SEC teams of this world.

Will it work in 2-3 years when he has everything down pat? Possibly but not next year.

6. STRIPES

STRIPES Founding Member

The claiber of competition DOES matter........

Some on the board seem to believe that if a coach is successful at a
    MAC or Mountain West program that it will almost automaticly cross over to SEC success simply because that coach was on the same level as his competition.

This is ridiculous simply because the better head coaches are going to be at the higher level and when a coach finally gets to the higher level such as the SEC, Big10, Big12, etc., he will now be coaching against the elite which were already at the higher level to begin with. In other words, the coaching advantage an Urban Meyer may have had over the head coaches at
    Utah State, BYU, San Diego State, or other MWC teams simply won't exist
    against SEC head coaches.

The guy on the learning curve in this situation is going to be Urban Meyer.
    Hell, even Nick Saban had an adjustment period to SEC ball and he came from the Big 10.

If the level of coaching doesn't really matter and all that counts is "W's" in whatever league then why isn't Pete Jenkins a hot commodity. Jenkins has won numerous SWAC titles and a couple of black NC's as well while at Southern. The answer is that Pete Jenkins is coaching at a level of football where it is certainly questionable whether he can make the adjustment to
    D1A football. In fact, Curley friggin' Hallman was successful while at USM and even beat Florida State and Alabama while at USM. The problems came in when Hallman had to make a steady diet of SEC teams instead of playing one a season where you can circle the date on a calendar and point to it all season.

This is exactly why I had doubts about Bobby Petrino and it is why I have questions about Urban Meyer as well. There is simply nothing in their past which demonstrates that they can coach at the SEC level. Neither Petrino or Meyer has coached at the BCS level and neither has been a head coach anywhere more than 2 years.

Now will Meyer be successful at UF? Maybe. However, I just think that the
    situation UF is in right now and the level of the Tenn & UGA programs makes Meyer's immediate success very doubtful. Then there's the Spurrier factor
    in the SEC East as well.

The real question is what will happen if Meyer turns in a couple of 6-5 or 7-4
    seasons at UF? Hell,they just ran off Ron Zook for going 8-4 in a couple of years. Any of you can believe whatever you choose but Florida is definitely at a crossroads.

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

he sounds more like donnan or mumme than hallman. of course we all know how they turned out. perhaps mumme has the excuse of having UK football to work with.

8. friday

friday Founding Member

STRIPES-
    Spurrier has a lot of work to do at SC - he was left with a bare cupbard. I wouldn't count on much success at SC until at least 3 years IMO. although he will continue to recruit well, he's not in the state of florida anymore so don't expect UF type talent level.

9. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

As one who has been to 40 consecutive football games all over this country while watching my son play college football I can tell you that "Stripes" is in for an awakening................his logic would also
    suggest that the Louisiville team of 2004 "can't/couldn't" compete because they were in CUSA. Urban Meyer won't CRAM his system down ANYONE'S throat and he has said such...............he IS a genius at adapting A system to the players he has.................with the athlete's HE NOW HAS access to, he will win and win REAL BIG. What kind of logic is it when you suggest that the Utah victory over A&M was some kind of fluke when Oklahoma had to have a GIFT to beat them at the end of the game. Football is a different game EVERY time they walk on the field..................anyone that underestimates ANY team is set up to get beat. I guess LSU should go back and tell the next "Troy" not to try so hard since LSU is in the SEC and they aren't. The MAC has made a habit of beating teams all over the country in the last couple of years and nothing has happened that says it won't continue.:lsup:

10. gunwoady

gunwoady Founding Member