Urban Meyer Stepping down at Florida per ESPN

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by SabanFan, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Who will his replacement be? I suspect it will be Spurrier. Spurrier has not done well at South Carolina and this may be a golden opportunity for him. I figure he would not be long at SC long anyway.

2. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

Yeah, I have no idea why he wouldn't wait either. Unless he heard that someone was going to break a story based off of fifteenth hand information, and he just decided to set it straight before anything was released.

3. Abita Bengal

Abita Bengal Founding Member

Dude, just stop. PLEASE.

4. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

Spurrier tried to come back whenever they got rid of Zook, but they wouldn't let him on automatically; he would have to go through the motions like everyone else. Spurrier, in his sulking genious manner, withdrew his name. They may let him back now, though.

5. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

Re: Urban Meyer stepping down

Holy chit! God forbid, hope it is not cancer; I can guess that's one dreaded illness that can make someone re-assess one's priorities in life; coronary disease would be the second illness. No good choices.....

Also time to count one's blessings.....

1 person likes this.
  6. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Urban Meyer, who was admitted to a hospital because of chest pains following the Southeastern Conference championship game, is stepping down because of health concerns.
    Meyer, 45, says he consulted with his family, his doctors, school president Bernie Machen and athletic director Jeremy Foley before deciding it is in his best interest to focus on his health and family.
    "I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer said in a statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to reevaluate my priorities of faith and family.
    "After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family."
    "Coach Meyer and I have talked this through and I realize how hard this was for him to reach this decision," Foley said in a statement. "But, the bottom line is that Coach Meyer needed to make a choice that is in the best interest of his well being and his family. I certainly appreciate what he has meant to the University of Florida, our football program and the Gator Nation. I have never seen anyone more committed to his players, his family and his program. Above all, I appreciate our friendship."

Florida coach Urban Meyer steps down for health reasons - ESPN

7. boblinfoto

boblinfoto Ohio LSU fan/artist

'Health issues' force Urban Meyer out at Florida
    By Matt Hinton

The day after his team's loss in the SEC Championship game, Florida coach Urban Meyer checked himself into Gainesville hospital due to "dehydration." He was quickly released, and the story passed without much attention at the time. But as of tonight, it may go down as the moment that Meyer's burgeoning Gator dynasty came to an end:
    Urban Meyer is stepping down as coach of the Florida football team, athletics director Jeremy Foley announced Saturday afternoon in a release.

8. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

That would be pretty wild, but not out of the question.

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Re: Urban Meyer stepping down

im more inclined to believe his coaching staff knew about this was the reason gonzales jumped when we called.

as far as timing of now instead of the bowl game, if meyer heard the news might have leaked and the cat was gonna be out of the bag anyway, why not go ahead and go public. control the story as much as possible.

oh, and sf, i was the one lurker. :grin:

10. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Sorry, I'm not buying this resigning over undisclosed health reasons.
    Billy Gonzalez to LSU.
    Didn't Charlie Strong leave Florida for somewhere?
    I also find it hard to believe that Meyer and Tebow leaving Florida the same year is by chance or fate.
    This will be very interesting story for a while though.