USC and UGA - Where is LSU?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by jpbond, Aug 14, 2004.

1. BB

BB Founding Member

The gameplan remains the same and UGA will be unable to overcome it. We will run the ball up their asses, shut down their receivers and destroy their QB. What has changed about that? 2 DB's (starters I think) are nursing injuries, the RB is out and the O-line is still suspect until they prove otherwise. The places we puched them in the mouth - the running game and the ability to pass rush have either improved or stayed close to the same level for LSU. Is UGA better able to defend the run and protect Greene?

Look, UGA is GOOD! I think they have the talent to accomplish a lot this year - my point is simply that LSU and UF beat them last year in all phases of the game and that doesn't appear to have been remedied to the point that some of these people will have you believe.

2. Mikeaux

Mikeaux Freshman

I think that the writer of the article might be trying to stir up trouble; to get LSU fans riled up and start sending email their way. I say this because LSU roughed up on Greene twice last year, and the writer doesn't mention LSU one time when discussing it; he mentions Florida and Auburn. Just my thoughts on it. :yelwink2:

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I guess that is exactly what I am saying. The media is giving LSU an incredible amount of respect, many folks just focus on the negative and not the positive. I have read hundreds of articles on LSU and Saban over the past 8 months that give us all kinds of props. If you cannot read all of these great articles that have been written about the talent level, the recruiting, the coaching, the stadium ,the program in general, etc and feel like we are getting respect than you will never feel that way.

We are ranked anywhere from 2 to 7 in the major polls with us being around 4th in most. I think that is pretty damn high and als believe that any team ranked in the top 5 is pretty much being told that they have a damn good chance to be playing for a national championship. If the voters believe that a returning QB is the most important factor on a team than I think they are justified in ranking the Tigers where they have, even lower. Seems as though 99% of all football fans think that way. If being ranked ahead of OSU, Mich., Miami and FSU isn't getting respect than I don't know what respect is.

4. BB

BB Founding Member

Just to refresh everyone’s memory…

In the SEC Championship Game:

LSU Rushing Yards = 293

David Greene = 3 Interceptions / 1 TD

UGA Rushing Yards = 50 (on 25 attempts) – 35 yards came on one broken play

LSU sacked Greene 6 times for -53 yards

In the first 20 minutes of the game LSU gained 196 yards to Georgia’s -8 (yes, -8 yards) and the Tigers kicked off to start the game.

David Greene = 17 of 44 (38%) for 199 yards (Heisman?)

Once again, I don’t feel like we are being disrespected and I’m not being a greedy fan. We have dreamed about being a Top 5 team for decades and now we are on top of the mountain. To be clear, my problem is with the UGA / LSU comparisons and the reasoning behind most of the media choosing UGA as the better team. The reasoning is crap IMO and it’s no different than last year’s reasoning. David Greene entered the first LSU game as a Heisman Candidate and he limped out of Tiger Stadium a less effective QB (see UGA / Florida game). What has changed? The LSU defense has demoralized this kid on two occasions and I just can’t fathom what secret weapon they will roll out to make this year any different.

Their #1 run option is out for the year and David Greene still can’t figure out the LSU Defense (reports state that he is still wetting his bed at night) – I don’t care how much film he watches. Bottom line: they can’t and won’t stop the LSU run and their O-Line is suspect at best. How can anyone assert that things will be totally different now that some of the lineman have a year of experience under their belt. Please… our guys gained the same experience and we brought in some scary talent from the Junior College ranks. Read the stats above one more time – yeah, I know it was just one game, but it was their last SEC game (they gave up 27 points to Purdue in their last game – a season high for the Boilermakers against teams with a winning record) and the “gained experience” factor is a bunch of BS in this case. If people are giving a year of experience this much attention, we should be discussing Vincent, Webster, Spears, Landry, Green, etc. as well. What has Georgia improved on? I want to know. This Georgia team is super talented and deserving of a top 5 ranking, no question about it. My problem is with the writers failing to discuss their weaknesses and discounting the fact that they will likely have to beat LSU or Auburn TWICE! LSU will impact the NC picture this year either directly or indirectly and this is being ignored. Do you think discussions about a Michigan NC run last year were ignoring their game with defending NC Ohio State?

Our O-line (to include TE’s and FB’s) is as good as any in the SEC and in the Top 10 in the nation IMO. Georgia’s D-Line is good, but not good enough to dismantle our line.

Nick Saban is the greatest defensive mind and one of the Top 3 all around coaches in the country. Richt is a fantastic coach with a solid program, but he’s yet to match Saban – not even close.

Justin Vincent is one of the Top 10 backs in the nation and is backed by a bruiser in Broussard. UGA’s top back is out for the year. Will another back emerge as a threat? I’ll put my money on the known – we will smother the run again this year.

Special teams – Georgia’s record-setting kicker is gone. Skyler Green is one of the Top 5 returners in the nation.

Marcus Spears is one of the Top 10 DE’s in football. So is Pollack – for arguments sake, this is the only category the Dawgs compete with us in.

Greene is a more proven QB than any on our campus. This is a fact of life, but so are the abilities of Corey Webster, Ronnie Prude, Travis Daniels, LaRon Landry, Jessie Daniels and Mario Stevenson – these are proven athletes who have likely improved from last year. If Greene makes chumps of this crew I will polish his Heisman Trophy myself.

The only argument for UGA that could possibly make any sense of last year would be that our victories were flukes – draw your own conclusions. The same weaknesses exploited last year still exist for the Bulldogs and new question marks have surfaced the last couple of days. It is foolish to think that they have improved their chances of beating LSU due to the departure of Mauck, Clayton and Hill. Greene will still get beaten up, confused and outwitted by a phenomenal DB corps. UGA will not run the ball effectively enough to give Greene the pressure valve he needs to be successful and there is no way on God’s green earth that they are prepared to shut down the run completely. What has changed? If you tell me it’s Mauck’s departure all I can do is once again direct you to the stats above.

I REFUSE TO BELIEVE THAT IT IS UNREASONABLE TO THINK THIS TOO IS OUR YEAR. IT’S OUR TURN ATOP THE MOUNTAIN…

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Last year was last year. Do I believe LSU is the better team, yes I do. Do I think we will beat UGA, yes I do. All I am saying is that it isn't disrespectful if they think someone is going to end up being the better or even moreso have a better record than LSU.

6. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Good post cajdav. We need to stop pulling up these articles and nitpicking about little things such as this. You guys think it's disrespect cause of the purple and gold goggles. These writers have more on their minds than just LSU LSU LSU. Like cajdav said, concentrate on the many articles that have given LSU much respect, instead of finding every little reason to attack a writer for not mentioning LSU. Our Tigers will take care of the rest on the field. Remember, respect is earned over a period of time.

7. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Muahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahaha

Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Here's a "chubby" for a few of you ... snickering

Just finished watching the rerun of the LSU romp in the SECCG ... whilst enjoying the exquisite flavour of a Cohiba Siglo 4 ... deelightful

8. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

Great posts on both ya'lls part.