USC Claims Loss Never Happened

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Bengal B, Sep 12, 2017.

1. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

And since I hate lazy reporting.....this blog piece linked to another article where it was clear that the original source for being 4-0 is the official game notes from USC, which includes the following....

"*Two of college football’s bluebloods meet when No. 4 USC welcomes the Big 12’s Texas to the Coliseum, the first time the Trojans and Longhorns have tangled in that iconic stadium in 50 years. *It’s also the first time USC and UT have met anywhere since the instant-classic BCS Championship Game in the 2006 Rose Bowl."

"*USC is 4-0 in its series with Texas (not including 1 loss vacated due to NCAA penalty; original record, 4-1). *

"*USC’s vacated loss came in the most recent meeting, in the BCS Championship Game in the 2006 Rose Bowl."

http://usctrojans.com/documents/2017/9/10//texrel17_fb.pdf

So the game notes not only acknowledge the game 3 times, but in 2 separate places, USC acknowledges the loss. Canuck blogger can go eff himself.

2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I believe this is being interpreted wrong. From the official NCAA site:

The penalties include four years probation; a two-year football postseason ban; a one-year basketball postseason ban; vacation of regular and postseason wins for all three involved sports (football, basketball and women’s tennis); scholarship reductions for football and basketball; and recruiting restrictions for men's basketball.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2011-05-26/infractions-decision-stands-usc

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

So they officially lost to Texas.

4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

You can believe what you like.

"Tessalone is insisting that NCAA director of statistics Jim Wright instructed the team to exclude the loss.

"I have documentation in a letter sent in July 2010 to Wright noting all the changes he instructed us to make, including that losses had to be vacated," Tessalone said. "The letter also states that he had reviewed all our revisions and approved them."

According to Bonagura, citing Jeff Williams, the associate director of media coordination and statistics for the NCAA, the official Trojans record for the 2005 season is listed as 0-0. This comes despite an official announcement from the NCAA in 2010 that said USC's penalty for "agent and amateurism violations" would result in "vacation of regular and postseason wins."

So my advice is to bring it up with Jeff Williams, the associate director of statistics for the NCAA. And as I've already mentioned, the entire story came from USC's game notes which acknowledges the game in 3 different places and the loss in 2 different places. This was always a non-story and it still is.

5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Still, it's an interesting story. What you've posted and what I've seen in the past don't mirror each other.

In the end it means nothing, I agree. Interesting, nonetheless.