USC got the Booty infection?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Berge, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Berge

Berge Founding Member

L$U fans were right... Some corndog fans said Evangel Christian Academy QBs are always overrated and USC fans shouldn't be overly excited about JD Booty. They mentioned Brock Berlin and Josh Booty (JD's brother). Both of them were overhyped HS QBs and both of them flopped in college. Yet many USC fans dismissed corndogs saying JD was different than Brock and Josh. Lets see now:

Josh Booty was named the USA Today Offensive Player of the Year and was named the National High School Player of the Year by at least six associations, including Parade and the Football News. He is considered to be the top football recruit in the history of Louisiana High School Football.

Brock Berlin was one of the most hyped football recruits in history after he led Shreveport Evangel Christian Academy to three state titles, became a Parade All-American, and won numerous personal honors, including being named Gatorade National Player of the Year and USA Today National Offensive Player of the Year

Now we have a third example, JD Booty. So much hype, so little to show. Bring back Orange County QBs to USC and let them destroy Berkley.

:hihi::hihi:

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Let me help out here. The WeAreSC Forum is incredibly liberal in terms of posting. You have to be pretty bad to get banned. We don't use any kind of rep system and posters are never publicly warned. As such and with Saturday's outcome, we are being literally deluged with trolls............some new some not so new. The one you chose to quote is the most notorious troll in the entire Pac 10 internet board network. MoreNCsarecoming=Amy=furd fan.

I know ya'll probably don't care much and are still celebrating Saturday's win (as you should be BTW) but the following info comes from Jeremy Hogue a former Center for USC and out of everything I've seen, heard, read, it's the most accurate assessment of what's going on.

I think people have turned these message boards into a referendum to blame JDB for our struggles, and many people have implied that I am saying the same thing. Let me again clarify: JDB is a good quarterback. A lot of national championships have been won with teams that had good, not great, college quarterbacks (as recently as last year with Florida). In fact – I’d say more national championships have been won with average-good college quarterbacks than have been won with great college quarterbacks. If a team has a great defense, a solid line with a good running game, and good special teams, then quarterbacks who can manage the game, not have a lot of negative plays (interceptions and sacks), and allow the team to simply do the fundamentals well over the course of 60-monutes - - those teams win. Time and time again.

Are all the interceptions JDB’s fault? Not at all. Are the receivers playing well? No. Did the line play well? No. Did our running game give him much help? No. Is this all JDB’s fault? No. No. No.

1 person likes this.
  3. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

I definitely dont think JDB is all to blame they have so many FIVE STAR WRs and a FIVE STAR TE in Fred Davis who was a FIVE STAR WR coming out of high school also and that being said none of them have played to their potential. One of the main players who stick out to me is one who LSU recruited hard and that was Patrick Turner definitely not playing up to his potential.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

He was being hyped for the Heisman and USC was given the #1 slot due in large part to his play in the Rose Bowl. You reap what you sow. Portray him as the greatest and prepare to get slammed when he doesn't live up to it.

5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Couldn't be more wrong there. Fred Davis is playing lights out this season and one of the few consistent offensive highlights. With the recent focus on the NFL to TE, his draft stock is on the rise.

As for the others, Ronald Johnson a true freshman out of Michigan is having a terrific year and Vidal Hazelton is continuing to be very consistent. Patrick had/has all the physical skills and yet he is inconsistent and continues to drop balls all over the place. At this point, some of it has to be in his head. Of our 2 speedy receivers, one has xfered, and the other has had his second consecutive season ending injury. Next year, look for Brandon Carswell and Damien Williams to make an impact.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Ummmm. You lost to Stanford, a 40 point dog at home. Somebody is screwing up. Is it Petey?

By the way, ask McKnight how his Saturday went. :hihi:

7. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

No interest in former Evangel quarterbacks.

Now that former Evangel RB, he's a stud.

8. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

One thing is certain. In this case the "troll" is dead on accurate. The truth hurts sometimes. Believe me I know it. I sat through one losing season after another at LSU during the 90's.

9. JM Tiger

JM Tiger Founding Member

vball...I was talking to someone that followed USC alot more closely than me and they believed that the backup QB (I forget his name) should be playing more. I chalked it up the typical belly aching from fans about backup QB's, but he made a decent point that I hadn't thought about.

His arguement was that since Booty had been playing first string for a couple of years, and lost his top 2 receivers, that the starting receivers this year would be more accustomed to the backup QB (I guess who they practiced more with over the years). For example, if JR had stayed, Flynn was in a similar situation with Early because they were more used to each other.

Thoughts? Seemed far fetched to me, but like I said, he follows it more than me.

1 person likes this.
  10. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

Yeah didnt mean to include Fred Davis because I like him and his abilities and he is the only consistent one.