USC to lose and still be #1 AP poll

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jericho, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Jericho

Jericho Freshman

I saw this on the ESPN board. I am trying to forget about USC, but I think that what is written below could happen.:tigerhead

Anyone else find this logic correct?

Here goes...a friend and I were just looking at schedules and BCS formulas, etc. You know, getting a good look at what may come for LSU. We got to talking about the AP poll (imagine that) and I came to another really bad realization.

USC has the opportunity to be #1 again even if they lose with their schedule. Here is the logic. By FAR, their toughest game is their opener with Va Tech. There is NO WAY anyone in the weak pac-10 or their OOC sched. will beat them.....excecpt MAYBE va tech.

Now, if they lose to VA TECH, they should just stay at #1. Why? Cuz with AP logic, if you lose first, you win. USC loses to Va Tech (doesn't fall far b/c they are a media darling) and all they have to do is win out, knowing someone in a stronger conference with a stronger schedule will also lose. Like LSU, Oklahoma, Ohio St., etc. Someone will lose in conference later in the season, have one loss (against what is most likely a strong team) and will be punished for it in the polls. Makes sense?

So, here is my logic, if USC loses to Va. Tech, their beloved media gods might as well keep them at #1. Anyone else with me? Good thing there is nothing wrong with the AP poll.....lol...

2. mtntiger

mtntiger Freshman

No Way USC Loses to Va Tech

Did you see the great disappearing act the Jokies put on at the end of last season?

With the talent USC has and the lack of good competition in the Puke-10, the troyboys should run through their schedule like chili through the back end of my Labrador Retriever.

I just hope LSU has what it takes to get through its early road schedule unscathed so we can meet those clowns and explain to them once and for all that DEFENSE wins championships.

GEAUX TIGAHS!!!!

3. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

This is typical of Va tech though. They start off their seasons very strong and then have a weak finish.

Not that i see them beating that other team but...

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

before you guys annoint them best of the fudge pac-10, although very weak conference some teams will be improved. Cal and Jeff Tedford, who may be the best offensive mind in football, can outcoach lil petey and i think they have an outside shot to win the conference. Wash St will be tough and I wouldnt be surprised if they lose a couple of games. Losing Mike Williams will be a factor.

5. JoeReckless

JoeReckless Founding Member

It would all be fixed if these idiots would just adopt a playoff system. This is the only way to make things fair and to shut up the AP guys at the same time. Last one standing is champ and everyone will just have to accept it.

PLAYOFFS : PLAYOFFS : PLAYOFFS : PLAYOFFS : PLAYOFFS : PLAYOFFS : PLAYOFFS : PLAYOFFS : PLAYOFFS : PLAYOFFS : PLAYOFFS : PLAYOFFS :
    :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
    :tigerhead :tigerhead :tigerhead :tigerhead :tigerhead :tigerhead :tigerhead

6. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Washington state has a better record than USC

over the past 3 years ... look it up ... CFN

USC will shoot itself in the foot again ... guaranteed ...

and because they are such losers (like chumps who claim a BS NC)

have such a weak schedule ... ranked # 70 sumpthin' toward the cellar

they will have ~Z~E~R~O~ chance for an ERNGE berth

LSU & Miami in the NC game in Miami in 2005 ... my bets are down

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I don't buy into a undefeated season for USC because of a perceived light schedule. Yes it is not the best schedule, but they have 2 tough conference road games (not like LSU does, but for the Fudge Pac-10 it is) and of course the VTech game.

This team has VERY LITTLE experience at the O-line. 2 Starters graduated, 1 is out for the season with injury, another one shot someone in the ass with a pellet gun. That leaves 1 experienced person on the O-line.

If you think Mr. Leinhart will have time to eat a sandwich while in the pocket like he did last year, think again.

8. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

See, my only problem with that scenario is that USC is going to lose the last game they play. Probably in the Orange Bowl in convincing fashion and most likely to a team that is a member of the SEC.

Let's see if the AP can explain that one... ;)