USC vs VA TEC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by olVENICEdog, Jul 29, 2004.

1. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

The biggest question about this game is how do you pull against both teams? Do you want the media darlings that were probably not even a top 5 team last year to win or the cowards that stabbed us in the back after we had held up our end of the bargain? No matter who wins this one I think I will be unhappy. Well maybe Beamer will punch pete in the nose at midfield after the game, now that would make me happy!!!!!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

2. The_Irish_Tiger

The_Irish_Tiger Freshman

I'll never forget USC at Auburn last Fall

Auburn went into game 1, proclaiming to be disrespected, expecting to win it all. High expectations. The thing was a vicious, almost as much as their loss to LSU in Tiger Stadium.

And to see the fans, stunned, hearing that stupid Trojan March theme song in the background.

I think USC starts off pretty strongly. I may pull for VaTech, but more than likely I'll just drink beer and watch it.

3. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

Outside of Auburn, Georgia and Florida I hate these two teams the most. I will never forgive the Tec fans for the way they treated LSU fans a few years ago in Blacksburg. USC thinks they are god’s gift to football.

I went on a job interview yesterday and the guy giving the interview was from Bell Chase and told me he went to LSU for a few years and this dude was decked out in all USC gear Hat and T-shirt. I wanted to pull his shirt over his head hockey style and pound his @$$.

4. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Were you at that Va. Tech Game crawdaddy? I was very close to going, but glad I did'nt. The ride home after an ass whippin like the Hokies put on us, makes for a very bad ride home. I think the Trojans will beat them kinda like they beat Auburnt at home last year, in the 23-7 range give or take a few, but never in any trouble of losing.

That guy you interviewed with, was he a weasel? LSU don't need jokers like that, gonna dress in Trojan garb to fit in with the Cali fruits. :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

5. tinwin

tinwin Freshman

I have a bunch of Hokies in my office, and this is what they told me. The reason the Hokies play USC this year and us later, is because when they went to the ACC, they lost 1 home game. So they ask LSU to move our rematch back a couple of years so they can make up that home game and LSU agreed. Why then are they playing in DC? No clue. Maybe got a bigger paycheck to play there or something.
    Anyway, I hate them both. These damn Hokies think they got a chance and I'm telling them they are dreaming. Hokies will be lucky to get w/in 20 points - IMO. Too bad LSU couldn't schedule the first game w/ USC - that would have been awesome.

6. LuvDoc

LuvDoc Founding Member

If I remember correctly, and I was paying attention, being a Tiger in VA (they think this is the SOUTH?!): Tech lost the home game because the BCA game was to be in Blacksburg, or was to pay VaTech like a home team, or sumpin', but I think this all went down before the ACC move was done, and thus the loss of a "home game" was not the result of the ACC move.

Anyway, they rescheduled with us to the next year with a 12th regular season game (2007?), and booked a new home opponent (I forget who).

Then the BCA committee selected USC to be the opponent.

I'm pretty sure this was the timeline.

But, folks around here didn't buy the "loss of a home game" excuse at the time. They pretty well conceded that the turkeys just chickened out. If I remember correctly, about a year before an official request to move the game was made, someone on this board posted what was considered to be rumor at the time that Beamer was looking to weasel out.

He saw what LSU's immediate future looked like talent-wise, and that an assured early season loss to LSU could eliminate them from MNC contention even if undefeated the rest of the year (which is possible considering the Big Least and cupcake OOC schedule they usually play).

Now that doesn't quite jibe with turning around and playing USC a week earlier in the BCA, but I'm pretty sure VaTech had no say in the opponent. . .

7. LuvDoc

LuvDoc Founding Member

From Hokiesports.com:

Tech-LSU Football Game to be Played in 2007

October 13, 2003

BLACKSBURG - The Virginia Tech-LSU football game that was scheduled for the 2004 season opener has been moved to 2007, as announced Monday afternoon by both schools.

The move was necessitated when ESPN and Virginia Tech were unable to reach an agreement to schedule a Black Coaches Association (BCA) Classic game for Tech in 2004.

In 2002, when LSU traveled to Virginia Tech, the Tigers were able to play seven home games because the NCAA allowed an additional game on the schedule in that particular year. In 2004, the NCAA will allow teams to play only 11 games, which means Virginia Tech would have had only six home games if it played at Baton Rouge. But ESPN had agreed to schedule a BCA Classic game for the Hokies, which by NCAA rules can be played in addition to the 11-game schedule.

Virginia Tech could have executed the $250,000 buyout in the contract, but instead a move to 2007 was negotiated. After it was clear that Virginia Tech could not play LSU in 2004, the next available playing date for both schools was the 2007 season.

As part of the arrangement to play in 2007, Virginia Tech has agreed to an elevated buyout clause of $350,000.

Virginia Tech Director of Athletics Jim Weaver said the search for a new home opponent for the 2004 season will begin immediately.

Except that they ARE playing a BCA game, and THAT was never in doubt. I'm pretty sure that it was the location/pay that "changed" according to VA tech, and what they thought would be a "home game" was not. still bull**** though.

Nevertheless, Go turkeys (for one game anyway).

As an aside, you wouldn't believe the obnoxious bandwagon Hokey fans that came out of the woodwork for a few years around here. Two years of end-of-the-season collapses have thinned their numbers considerably!!

8. LuvDoc

LuvDoc Founding Member

And more:

Tech Finalizes LSU Series
    Both games to be shown on ABC or ESPN networks
    July 20, 2001

BLACKSBURG - Virginia Tech Director of Athletics Jim Weaver announced Friday that Virginia Tech has finalized a contract for a home-and-home football series that will have the Hokies and the LSU Tigers meet in 2002 and 2004.

The contract calls for the Hokies to host LSU at Lane Stadium/Worsham Field on Aug. 31, 2002 and the Hokies will return the trip to Tiger Stadium on Sept. 4, 2004. Both contests will be shown by either ABC or one of the ESPN networks. The Hokies and Tigers have never met on the gridiron.

Virginia Tech was scheduled to play the University of North Carolina on Sept. 4, 2004. Instead, that contest will now be moved to Sept. 18. The change required UNC and the University of Utah to move their previously scheduled date.

"I want to express my thanks to both the University of North Carolina and the University of Utah for their cooperation and willingness to move their contest from its scheduled date," Weaver said. "We certainly appreciate their assistance, as well as that of East Carolina."

As the result of negotiations for the VT/LSU series, a previous contract for home-and-home games with East Carolina University in 2004 and 2005 has been cancelled. However, plans are for the Hokies to face the Pirates in the 2004 Black Coaches' Association preseason football game. The game will mark the final college football preseason contest due to its recent elimination by the NCAA. Now, the Hokies will play 12 games in each of the next three seasons (2002-2004) with seven home games coming each year in that period.

"From the Virginia Tech side of things, the LSU series involved a number of parties and required dealing with a variety of issues," Weaver said. "However, the opportunity to play such a prestigious program was something that we were going to find a way to make it happen. I'm very pleased we can bring this game to our fans and football program."

Virginia Tech opens its 2001 season on Sept. 1, hosting Connecticut.

So when they scheduled LSU they thought they would have 7 home games this year.

9. DRC

DRC TigerNator

I dont want either the Knob Gobblers or USuCk to win...pull for a 0-0 tie and overtime won by a field goal. That outta make both of them look like $hit and good enough for me. :p

10. LuvDoc

LuvDoc Founding Member

What you're describing reminds me of that perfect game last year: Miami vs Va Tech.

Va Tech looked so damn shiittty, not even Miami's abysmal performance could make them look good by comparison.

And in the end, the right team lost.