Use of the RB's

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu99, Aug 20, 2004.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

How are the RB's going to be used this year? What types of formations and combinations? If everyone stays healthy, I was thinking something like:

Vincent - 15 carries a game, sometimes lining up in a 1 back set, others with a true FB and maybe even with Alley Broussard at times.

Carey/Addai - 7-10 "touches" a game whether from straight handoffs, short passes out of the backfield, returns. I think these guys need to get the ball in space and let their instincts take over. Before Carey was hurt last year, he really impressed me on the punt returns.

A. Broussard - Obviously he has what it takes to be a workhorse-type back but the carries won't be there for him. Still, 7 carries or so, some with him dotting the "I" and others as a quick hitting type FB type play would be a good wrinkle for defensive coordinators to prepare for.

I guess probably not many touches for the true FBs like Steltz. How much are they going to be on the field? Does the allocation above look about right? Obviously you'd like to get Vincent the ball more but I think it would be good to get all 4 guys their 7 touches or so.

2. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

Only thing to worry about with these runners is injuries. Barring that, they're all good and I'm happy to see any of them in the game. :thumb:

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Five tailbacks and two fullbacks will see action in the first two games as Nick gets in a little PT for everybody and lessens injury potential. But, I think it will be mostly Vincent and Addai after that, barring injuries. Broussard and Carey will be used more sparingly, but will be effective in power (Broussard) and speed (Carey) special situations. Also they will be fresh legs in the fourth quarter. Spadoni will be mostly a special teams player after game 2, but is valuable as a reserve. Injuries have cost LSU a starting running back in each of the last three years, including twice last year. Depth at RB is important in a tough league like the SEC.

But you can't bar injuries and our top two backs will change during the season, as players go down or are slowed by injuries. I think the carries-per-game is not how we will assess these backs, but the number of games they carry the load when it's their turn.

Vincent stepped up to the bar when Addai and Carey went down last year. Broussard and Carey will have to do the same this year, perhaps. That is when we will appreciate having four top backs.

The fullbacks never get the ball in Jimbo's offense. They are pure blocking backs--small, quick pulling guards who line up in the backfield. They often don't even get in the game in the one-back formation. At LSU last year Nick played Tight ends at the FB position more than he played the fullbacks.

4. BB

BB Founding Member

Personally, I would love to see a little split back pro formation with Vincent / Broussard or Vincent / Addai - We could run play action screens, delays, traps, option, etc with 2 loaded weapons staring into the defensive backfield...

[​IMG]

5. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

That was one of my questions that prompted this thread. How much would we use those type of formations? I'm guessing it'll be just a little. The first LSU teams I remember had that Hilliard/James feature. I'd like to see 2 RBs (with no FB) in the backfield together 10 plays a game. Mostly on 1st down.

6. ledfoot

ledfoot Founding Member

I think Saban said a few weeks ago that RB's would be used to keep everybody fresh throughout the game. I can't remember if it was 2 or 3 series in a row then put in another back.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

A fresh running back in the game at all times....hmmmm....does not bode well for the rest of the SEC.

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I would hate to see us changing our offensive philosophy to accomodate 2 RB's instead of a fullback/TE. Now Addai can be one of those backs as he was a very good fullback his freshman season. But I don't think I would like to see AB and JV in the backfield at the same time too often. Of course if they do it and it works than I would love it but i've seen so many teams try this over the years when they had to stud RB's and it's like it sabotaged the entire offense.

9. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

I think AB is gonna be the man this season. I read somewhere that he cut about 10 lbs of fat during the offseason.. he was already a monster, now he will be a quicker monster..

10. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

I am looking for AB to get more touches this year. Last year he had a few fumbles and Saban don't play that. If Broussard can get over that he should get a pretty good share of the touches.