UT is looking into bar's 'VIP' treatment for players

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Bayou Tiger, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Bayou Tiger

Bayou Tiger Founding Member

The bar owner is backtracking since receiving so many threats to boycott her business.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2010/...t/?partner=RSS

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

This is ridiculous.

You mean that if an LSU recruit or current player comes in my cafe, and I comp them because the food was slow coming out the kitchen or something, it would be an NCAA violation .

And no one thinks that going that far to make sure an athlete does not get anything that constitutes payment in kind...is not promulgating slavery...

3. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

minor, secondary , self-report violation ..... happens all the time in virtually every college town in the country. Dooley's got much bigger problems than this stuff.

4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Steve, I don't think so. In your situation, that would not be a violation. The violation comes when they receive benefit because they are athletes. In your situation, anyone would receive the same benefit if their food was late.

5. Bayou Tiger

The catch is not to tell the media. ;)

That is a valid point and may be correct but I'm not positive because NCAA has some crazy guidelines when it comes to players receiving benefits.

Remember the Bama players who went fishing with one's girlfriend's father? Think they were eventually cleared but all the hoopla cause people assume it's not on level.

6. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

My question is how does the school stop it. It's not illegal to give discounts to athletes just against NCAA rules. NCAA has no jurisdiction of a private restaurant and can only punish the school. But the school has not control of the restaurant so they just get screwed and can not do anything about it?

If I opened a place in Tuscaloosa and gave the Bama players free dinner would the university get penalized? If so I think I have a new business plan.

7. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Yes, he does. The crap Kiffin left behind will take years to clean up.

8. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

:hihi::lol::rofl:

9. Bayou Tiger

But it has jurisdiction over an individual's private finances? Better believe. Goes back to internal controls, self-restraint, and "the school" means "the team" is punished. Sometimes individuals- which in essence punishes the team- and others, wins vacated.

I think it's a bit crazy and not disagreeing with you necessarily but like I said, the NCAA has some crazy regs.