Vanderbilt coach James Franklin apologizes to Saban for calling him "Nicky Satan"

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Tiger_fan, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Vanderbilt coach James Franklin has apologized to Alabama coach Nick Saban for calling him "Nicky Satan" at a high school banquet in Georgia.

School spokesman Larry Leathers confirmed Franklin called Saban on Wednesday afternoon to apologize.

The Vanderbilt coach spoke Monday night at the fall sports banquet for Central High in Macon, Ga., where linebacker Nigel Bowden is one of his top commitments. According to videotape from WMAZ-TV, Franklin said, "There's this guy in Alabama. I think his name is Nicky Satan. You guys have probably heard of him before. I'm going to outwork him. I'm going to outwork him. And that's kind of our plan every single day."

http://www.wafb.com/story/20876304/...ch-apologizes-for-calling-saban-nicky-satanan

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

He's a pussy for apologizing.

stevescookin and fanatic like this.
  3. plotalot

plotalot Veteran Member

When I read the thread title I thought the same thing before I opened the the thread. How much does anyone want to bet that Bama gets to play Vandy in 2015?

4. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Might be more advantageous to outwork Florida, SC, or even Georgia to begin with. Then you can show BAMA what you got mightymouth.

5. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

It's not like it's the first time someone has referred to him as Satan although I thought my somewhat revised spin of predicting that "Johnny Foosball gonna take down the Debil" was more clever (especially when it came true).

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I hate that we live in a world where people are pressured to apologize for shit they normally would never apologize for. And 99.999999 percent of the time they cave.

7. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

Still took some balls to say it in the first place.

8. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Maybe, but I agree with LaSalle. If you're gonna say it, own it and don't apologize for it.

9. 1BIGTIGER

1BIGTIGER Founding Member

Looks like he just did not have the "chest" to stand up to LIL Nicky and his media nob slobbers!

10. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Franklin realized that as coach of a major institution, he had failed his players. By showing a lack of respect for his peer group, the coaching community, it was now impossible to instill the same core values in his football team. Asking his football team to respect their peers in a spirit of sportsmanship, while also respecting authority and being submissive to it, he stated, "would now be impossible." He also stated: "I have been not only shortsighted but particularly grievous to the emotional makeup of the young men in my trusted care." Franklin then explained to his football staff and the vandy hierarchy, it was necessary to visibly show his contriteness, explaining "that perhaps as much as 80% of what we learn comes through the eyes." Franklin felt by making himself this object lesson to the entire team and thus visible to all, he could perhaps inspire a similar winning attitude. It was in this sense of community consciousness, that Franklin agreed that beginning in June, he would dedicate himself to what he calls, "a re awaking of the humble man."

What does all this entail? Well, If you happen to be passing through Alabama, the beautiful, on I-65 just over the Alabama border, heading toward Huntsville, look carefully. That man dressed in gold and black with the big black garbage bag in hand, may look familiar.