Vern Lunquist feaux-pas

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by setx-tiger, Sep 28, 2003.

1. setx-tiger

setx-tiger Freshman

Anybody catch Vern Lunquist's pre-commercial comment just prior to the Bama-Hog kickoff: "We'll be back for the tip in just a moment" ? Guess he was affected by the hour-plus lightning delay . .

I like the Lundquist / Blackledge combo, just thought the basketball reference was funny.

2. Tiger Trey

Tiger Trey Founding Member

I've always liked Verne. I remember when he was Dallas Cowboys Radio play by play announcer.

3. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

He's one of the very FEW play-by-play guys that doesn't regularly and consistently choose a favorite and then infuse his commentary with that bias...

He's very even-keeled, and I honestly think he's da best in da biz....

4. jjfl

jjfl Founding Member

Verne's good, but Ron Franklin has the best college football "voice". "he's got 5, he's got 10 and he .... will ..... score". Always like it when LSU is on ESPN.

5. Tiger Trey

For college football, Ron Franklin is hands down the best play-by-play guy on the tube. I also like Mike Tirico who does ESPN Thursday night games as well as our Sugar Bowl victory over Illinois.

6. Goldmember

Goldmember Founding Member

I agree that Ron Franklin is the best in college football. I've even grown to like Mike Gottfreid's color work and Adrian Karsten's sideline reporting. Speaking of a feaux-pas, I could of sworn I heard hawthorne trip up a bit during Moo U's opening drive on Saturday. It went something like "that'll be good enough for a first down at the Arkansas 15 yard line". Did anyone else hear this?

7. Geauxld Member

Geauxld Member Founding Member

I guess I don't mind a little bias or maybe a little color from the commentators. CBS is so flat and boring they make all games look pretty much the same. They try to cover NCAA football like professional football. CBS has a formula and rarely deviates from it. ESPN does a much better job of covering games and what's going on.

Nice name goldmember

8. Tiger Trey

CBS production is flat. I do like Lundquist (and even Brando), but everything else about their production lacks appeal. ABC is better and ESPN rocks.