Crime Vigilante Justice

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUTiga, Aug 19, 2014.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

No amigo, an accident is when a deer runs in front of your car or you blow a tire and it causes you to go off the road or when someone runs a red light and smashes into you (not for other driver, they are just shitty drivers)

Intoxicating yourself and driving is not an accident, did he mean to get into a cab and somehow ended up in his car? I'm sure he didn't say "I'm gonna go kill some people" but the thing is, he should have thought about the fact that he MAY in fact kill some people.

I'm not defending it, the death of the driver was not necessary and it won't bring that dad's little boys back. When I say I understand it's because I understand. I don't know what I would do in that situation but I know I would NOT want to be the drunk dude.

Is the dad wrong? Of course he is but how he should be punished will spark a lively debate. The evidence seems sketchy from the link in the op. If they don't have more he has a good shot to walk.

GregLSU likes this.
  2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Actually, there is no way to know what he would have been charged with. Any priors would play into the decision on charges and I haven't read anything about his history. In addition Texas has some pretty strict laws regarding drinking and driving. Lastly, many states are now starting to charge and convict for 2nd degree murder as opposed to negligent homicide. It shows something in between a premeditated situation and one where the risks are apparent.

3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Then work to change the law.
    The whole conversation is disturbing...I'm agreeing with Red & MLU :eek:. Their point is that we have a society of laws and to even consider going outside of them for personal reasons leads to the breakdowns we are seeing all over the country today. Yes individuals may have an emotional response to events such as are in the thread. However the establishment of laws, justice system and governing our personal acts by them is what keeps us from chaos and barbarianism. You CANNOT take the law into your own hands EVER!!! It is never justified ever.
    The stability of the society depends on this. That is a broad statement but valid. George Washington believed in it, Andrew Jackson believed in it Teddy & Franklin Roosevelt and R Reagan all believed in it.
    People have compared some police shootings of suspects to the murder committed is false. The police who do so face departmental and legal scrutiny and are often prosecution. If they have worked outside the law they pay for it.
    We need to double down and demand the legal system work as it should not ignore it.

4. shane0911

Get off your soapbox @Winston1

Of course the law must be upheld. I have said multiple times let it go to a jury and they will decide the fate of the dad. Is that not the way the system works?

LSUpride123 likes this.
  5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

You have Shane but you aren't the only one posting...Reading the many posts on this and other issues too many on both sides of the political spectrum seem to be willing to go outside of the law to achieve their desires personal & political. That is troubling IMO.

6. shane0911

I'm just not as quick to dismiss the emotional aspect of our race. What is your opinion of the Gary Plauche deal.

LSUpride123 likes this.
  7. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

No, we are saying we can understand why some people choose to do so.

Can any of us really know how we would react watching our children die in our face with the person who committed the crime sitting right there in front of us?

We are not saying the father is without fault. I think it has been overly clear we have simply said we can understand why he did what he did.

Further, cops shoot 1st and ask questions later. Its terrible. Like the story I linked, the kid was pulling his pants up and is dead for no reason. The cop will most likely not serve a second of jail time because it was a "accident" to some.

8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

My god. Who is saying it is?

I am saying I can relate. No telling what I would do if someone killed a family member of mine. For whatever reason. There are dark places in all of us that most, thankfully, never have to manage.

Having my kids taken from me would be devastating and I most likely would lose it.

It's not right, but there is clear evidence and education to tells us the human condition is not black and white or lawful. Shit just triggers in certain people and it is what it is.

shane0911 likes this.
  9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You are hung by your own words.

10. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

So you are a liar?