virginia tech Hokies

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Unregistered, Aug 12, 2002.

1. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

Mauck was highly recruited out of high school before signing to play pro baseball. When that didn't work out, he found coach Saban who he had originally committed to at Mich State.

The knock on Mauck is that he can't pass which is ridiculous. People are using the SEC Championship game as an example where he came in for injured Davey. The guy hadn't practiced with any of his receivers all year so his timing was off. Even still, he was good enough to win the game and knock off a Tenn team that was prepared to play for the NC. Hardly a bad QB.

Mauck is very fast and sources indicate that he has definitely taken the leadership role during spring and summer workouts. Fall camp just started and he is running the team, helping the rookies and building the confidence of the team.

2. VaBeachHokie

VaBeachHokie Guest

Stuff

"My brother goes to VT and he said that the feeling on campus is the VT could lose to LSU, Marshall, and Miami."

Hey Oats. I think that stems from the fact that Tech fans were pretty confident last year that we had a good shot at the MNC (if Vick had stayed it was a great shot). Unfortunately the QB situation didn't work out and we pretty much sucked on offense last year from a passing standpoint. By the end of the season teams were lining every man up in the box and daring us to pass.

I think this year the QB situation is far better than it was last year (although we won't know for sure for another 2 weeks). It's my opinion that our fans are just a little bit hesitant to get excited about making a run for the MNC until we know for sure that we have a QB that can keep the passing offense going (not to mention a pretty tough OOC schedule and away games against Syracuse and Miami).

3. VaBeachHokie

VaBeachHokie Guest

Hey Admin

Yes, Mauck may be fast but that is nothing new to our defense. We still have plenty of defenders around who can wholeheartedly remember practicing against Mike Vick. If you can shut him down, you can shut anyone down.

I think this is going to be a great game. I think our chances for winning pretty much solely rely on VT getting the passing game going. If that happens, with our top tandem running backs, we could be unstoppable. If the passing game falters and you can put your whole D in the box, then we are in trouble.

As for our defense, yes we lost some key leadership. But from what I've read of the practice reports, we have severl players stepping up into those roles. Our D has always been great. I think it will continue to be that way as long as Foster sticks around. Hopefully Mauck will get to know the names Colas and Adibi (as a start) really well.

4. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Founding Member

Blacksburg insight

I'm making the trip to Blacksburg. Could any of the VT fans shed any light on places to visit (bars, restaurants, clubs)? Also, we are looking to play some golf while down. What are some of the finer golf courses in the area?

5. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

Mauck got type-cast as a running QB, but he said recently: "Actually, I am NOT a running QB. That's just how we played it against Tennessee because that was what was working at the time". Since that was the only game that he had significant playing time in, that is all anyone remembers.

Also he was far from fresh. Not only was it the end of the season, but it had been 4 years since he led an offense. I guarantee that with a year of knowing he is the leader now and preparing for the starting role he will be much improved.

6. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

I'm looking forward to teams underestimating Mauck's passing ability ;)

7. JBHokie

JBHokie Freshman

SabreTooth,
    I'm not much of a golfer, but I can give you a few bars to try. HokieHouse and PK's are probably my two favorites, and Top of the Stairs isn't bad either. You can drink in BBG for practically nothing, I'm talking 30oz. beers for $3 (not beast either).

8. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I think most LSU fans have confidence in Mauck's ability to throw the ball. Jimbo Fisher (offensive coordinator) helps that confidence quite a bit because of his past work with QB's. All of the playmakers make Reed's loss adaptable. I am slightly concerned about LSU's OL but Mauck's poise should help them out quite a bit. Is the game on ABC? Who's the crew doing the game?

9. VaBeachHokie

VaBeachHokie Guest

One of the bad apples

Here is an example of some of the bad apples I referred to earlier in my post about insisting on a visit to Tech for the game. Mr. Tex Boudreaux posted on the VT message board

"for all of you okies. Just got news that your A&M game has moved to 2:30!!! You guys will be in for the hottest game ever played in VA Tech history. I want a report from someone who goes to this game as field temps will be beyond 130 farenheit. Your odds of winning down there are so slim that that all the polls should remove you now from any false rankings they have put up. Now, to the more important business of competing with LSU. Let me emphasize the bottom line regarding this game which is you can't stop our offensive line. Regardless, of what imaginary defensive unit you believe you have LSU will bulldoze their way on offense. We are now the most physical team in the SEC and you will wilt under the wrath of our line men. All this speed crap your talking about is worthless as we have more speed than you will ever have at all positions. Please save yourselves and admit that this game will be a failure for Tech and for your season. You will be starting the year 2-2 at best and will have big black eyes from LSU and A&M going forward. Look on the bright side as the horror ends and the Big East begins."

Now that is an informed fan in my opinion. Please tell me that the majority of LSU fans don't really believe this.

10. VaBeachHokie

VaBeachHokie Guest

Hey Sabre

JB was pretty on about the bar situation. A lot depends on what you like. Danceclub, pool, darts, just chilling. I prefer PK's the best, then Hokiehouse, the Top of the Stairs. There are about 30 bars within a 2 block radius bordering campus. You can walk anywhere. Beer prices will range from about $1 per pitcher for something the quality of Natural Light to about $3 for a 32 oz. glass of Guiness or Nutbrown Ale.

As for tailgates on gameday, feel free to stop by ours. I'll be tailgating with JB and Swede in Lot 8. It's about a 2 block stumble to the stadium and is one of the lots where drinking is encouraged by the Hokie Club (the schools fundraising arm). Shoot me a message closer to gameday and I'll get you directions to the tailgate. Or if you don't feel like being more organized, just stuble around. There will be 40,000 or so people in the lots tailgating and the majority are very friendly and hospitable to visiting guests.