VIRUS ALERT

Discussion in 'Old New Member & Help Forum' started by Bud Lee, Dec 9, 2010.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I guess I don't understand how these things work, but if people are paying him to advertise here and one of their ads has a virus, why doesn't he block them until they fix it or ban them altogether?

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

His computer picked up the virus too.

3. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

An update.

My apologies to anyone that may have encountered some sort of malware.

Let me give a quick rundown of how things work.

We don't sell advertising directly here. We run ads delivered from ad networks who share a small (and I mean really small) portion of the ad revenue. We don't serve or have any ads stored on our server. The ad networks are supposed to ensure that all ads are malware free. We only used a few networks, all of them being large, well known networks.

While it may appear that the malware was served to our site, there are many ways these malware creators use to spoof origination and avoid detection. They may have been served through one of our networks or they may not have been. Regardless, I have taken steps to try and mitigate any further malware being delivered via one of our networks through the site.

We have recently stopped running ads from all networks but one. One that is supposed to have one of the best malware prevention techniques.

For overall malware protection, you should consider making a few changes.

Switch to Google Chrome Browser or Firefox if it's possible. MS Internet Explorer is notoriously susceptible to malware, viruses, etc.

Also consider installing Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, lightweight and does a good job of preventing malware.

Again, sorry for any problems.

1 person likes this.
  4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Brett, if this unforseen reduction has changed things and caused a need for voluntary contributions let me know. I'll gladly contribute to help, as I'm sure others would also.

5. OldTigerFan

OldTigerFan Freshman

just seeing what it looks like when I post - this is the first and obviously not of any value

1 person likes this.