VT forums

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by danthetigerfan, Aug 20, 2002.

1. danthetigerfan

danthetigerfan Founding Member

been checking out what their fans are thinking about the game.
    man, they are very confident . its as if they know without a shadow of a doubt they will beat the tigers. never seen such cocky fans.

2. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

That's the way we wnat them to be;)

3. VaBeachHokie

VaBeachHokie Freshman

Not really

Hey there Dan. I do think that VT is gonna win the game, but I wouldn't say it's without a doubt. I think most of the posters on TSL think that it's gonna be a close game, but that VT will prevail. Call it cocky if you want. It's basically the same as you thinking that LSU is gonna win without a doubt. I think most of the cocky remarks you are referring to on our board are in response to that idiot Tex Boudreaux, with all his facts, and how he can guarantee that LSU will win really big.

I think that right now, both teams are so close that it's hard to tell (and one of the reasons most polls have us neck and neck). I think it's all gonna come down to who makes the least amount of mistakes and the homefield advantage. I know that most of you think playing away won't affect your team and I don't now any better to agree or disagree. But I do know that playing at home will give our team a huge confidence boost and really pump them up. I think that's gonna be the difference.

4. VaBeachHokie

VaBeachHokie Freshman

We'll just have to wait and see.

"Seriously, I certainly don't think Va Tech will be pushovers but I am confident LSU will win this game. LSU has played VERY well on the road last year and quite honestly just isn't intimidated by playing at other schools. This is a team that is used to playing opposing schools with 70, 80, 90 and 100,000 hostile fans."

Like I said earlier, if the LSU fans don't think you will be intimidated, then I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and agree you won't. But I think the home crowd will really pump up our team and that is a definite advantage. Another thing is that year in and year out VT has really stepped up in big games and seems to always blow a guaranteed win.

"LSU's defense this year is BAD-ASS and I think VaTech's offense is just too one dimentional (running game) to give them problems. On the other hand LSU has a Heisman candidate in Toefield and many weapons at receiver and TE. With VaTech's defense being so young and now with their starting CB out, LSU will just be too much to handle."

Our defense has always been bad-ass for the last decade or so. Most of them are very young which has me a little worried, but the defensive coordinator said the other day that this is probably the most athletic defensive unit he has ever coached. Hopefully the game this weekend will get the first game jitters out and they'll be ready to rock against LSU. It was true that last year we were very one dimensional on offense. Our QB couldn't pass and when he did the receivers dropped the ball. All reports out of fall practice are that this has been fixed. Gotta see it for myself gametime to believe it. But if the problems have been fixed, then you're D better look out. We also have a Heisman candidate in Suggs and Jones may be even better. CB has me worried. We lost a starter to a knee injury and then another to a game suspension. We have a lot of talent at that position, but for this game it's gonna be a little thin.

"I know a lot of people who are going and I hope everyone has a good time."

I'll definitely be there. My tailgate spot is just to the north of the stadium on Washington Street by the tennis courts. I drive a gold Pathfinder. Plenty of food, bourbon, and hospitality to go around, so if you are in town for the game stop by and say hi.

5. MikebTiger

MikebTiger Founding Member

It's fun to run shmack...

once you've got the skins on the wall.

I was reading about the VA Tech LB's and DL. I read they were real fast, but lacked in the beef department. That makes me feel good because LSU has the beef and the speed. I really think LSU will run on VA Tech - right up the middle - and hit a lot of passes to the middle of the field. Mauck will not roll out of the pocket often, IMO.

As far as VT being one-dimensional - we need to be worried about that, too. LSU is loaded at WR - but can Mauck hit them with passes?

i think with the size matchup we have on our OL vs. their DL, we will run it right at them - which will appear to be one-dimensional. VT will try to press the edge on offense with their speed. I really see LSU containing well with our speed on D.

It will be a good game. I think LSU will wind up on top, 28-17.

6. VaBeachHokie

VaBeachHokie Freshman

True

That is true Mike that our DB's and Lb's are quick but a little small. I would be worried for us, if it wasn't for the fact that we have pretty much always had guys that were smaller and faster and had a top 10 defense the last couple seasons with them.

Corey Moore and John Engleberger were that way. Fast but tough. They used their speed to get around larger guys and cause lots of trouble in the backfield. You hit the nail right on the head too about your WR's. If we can get pressure to your QB quickly, then it is gonna be hard for him to hit those guys. That's what I am counting on. Either way it's gonna be a good matchup. We have had one of the nations top run defenses the last several years. It's gonna be fun seeing what happens. My prediction... VT 28, LSU 17.