VTech doesn't mean everything

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Unregistered, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Don't mean to get ahead of everybody here but even if LSU loses to VT this weekend we could still have one helluva season. Naturally I pray that we kill 'em but....first game of the year, inexperienced QB. Losing the first game of the season away from home and out of conference wouldn't be the end of the world. As long as they play VT tough they can build on it. The most important game of the year is in Gainesville, we lose to Florida again and we're still considered second-tier SEC, however if we can beat Florida in Gainesville, then the program would have reached a new level on the national scene. Everybody talks about us being 5-0 going into Gainesville...I'd be happy with 5-1 leaving Gainesville and 2-0 in the SEC.

P.S.- I love LSU but Lee Corso is crazy, couldn't have been a worse pick for LSU in my opinion......

2. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

Like Saban said, "We could lose this game and finish 11-1, and we could win this game and be 1-11"

There is only 1 "most important game of the year". And that game is always "the next game", whoever that may be.

Looking ahead kills. Just ask Tennessee.

3. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Good point, Unregistered. Can I call you Unreggie for short? I would be satisifed leaving Gainesville 5-1 and 2-0 in the SEC (although it would be nice going into that game undefeated). What game does everyone think will be more difficult to win? VT or Florida? I would say obviously Florida but who knows how they will react to the new coaches. What do their WR's look like this year after losing Gaffney and Caldwell?

4. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

:p :D :p :D :p

5. Waterloo

Waterloo Freshman

Unreggie, I like it ...........

Well, I've just been encouraged to post, so let me say that while I agree that a loss in Blacksburg doesn't mean we have to run for the hills, I don't think anybody associated with top programs talks like that. The time for licking wounds is after they've been incurred.

As a tiger, I say let the fur fly, and don't worry about it! If I'm Saban, and I hear a player minimizing the impact of a loss PRIOR to a game, that guy does not see action. I realize we're fans, and we won't suit up on Saturday, but hey, we're still LSU!!

Geaux Tigers!

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Allow me to make my point more clearly. LSU's team taking the field against Florida will be vastly superior in terms of experience and poise than can reasonably expected of the team playing it's first game of the year and EVER with Mauck as a starter. I'm not pointing any fingers at Mauck, I think the guy's going to be capable of playing some great games for LSU and will probably be the guy who wins it in the clutch for us at times. So did Booty and Davey, and as I recall they had their growing pains.

I just feel like it's difficult to blow-out a team like VTech playing one-dimensionally. It doesn't take a genius to stop a good running team if their not willing to air it out on first and second down. If the game is not a blow-out in LSU's favor then all the intangibles are in VTech's corner. Home-field advantage, 2nd game of the year, Mauck's first start, special teams reputation, etc. There is a reason we are 7 pt underdogs....I just have a hard time watching people predicting Toefield to have 25 touchdowns on the year (don't know if it was this site) and LSU winning the national title...why don't we just take on the St. Louis Rams while we're at it?

I think LSU is going to give them hell in Blacksburg and I honestly think we'll win. But, whatever happens this Sunday, just wait till we get a chance to see this team when Jimbo takes the govenor off.....
    P.S. I'll register another time, I'm at work. Spent too much time on this site today as it is.....:)

7. I just feel like it's difficult to blow-out a team like VTech playing one-dimensionally. It doesn't take a genius to stop a good running team if their not willing to air it out on first and second down. If the game is not a blow-out in LSU's favor then all the intangibles are in VTech's corner. Home-field advantage, 2nd game of the year, Mauck's first start, special teams reputation, etc. There is a reason we are 7 pt underdogs....I just have a hard time watching people predicting Toefield to have 25 touchdowns on the year (don't know if it was this site) and LSU winning the national title...why don't we just take on the St. Louis Rams while we're at it?

Va Tech is missing their starting corners and I do not think they will be able to cover LSU receivers with 2nd team corners. We should control the ball with a controlled passing game. LSU will play a safe game with high percentage passes and running the ball to control the clock.

The key to LSU's success will be Hill and Spears. If they can force the Hokie RB to the middle by beating the tightend and fullback, LSU will win. If they can not run, they will not be able to control the ball and their Defense will be worn down.