Wall mounted LCD TV questions

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by BAY0U BENGAL, Nov 10, 2009.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

RT, your pics aren't showing up. Can you repost them please? Either of you feel free to pm me when you do post your pics. I got busy the last couple of days and forgot to check on this thread.

2. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

They're taken from my phone since my camera is broken.

Here's an outside view:
    View attachment 12579

And here's what it looks like from the attic. I can see some studs, but I'm not sure where they're located just by looking down on them. I think I'll find that it's got studs, but I've gotta get a stud-finder first.
    View attachment 12578

Eidt: I realize that you can't see shyt in the second one. The brightness on my phone is not directly correlated with the brightness in the pic.

3. KyleK

This one is easy. Get a stud finder and locate the studs. Mount any mount that is made for your size tv (samsclub is where I got mine) according to the directions. Just make sure that you anchor the mount to the studs. I would use lag bolts, probably 1/4 x 3" w/ a 1/4" washer. Use 4 total, 2 in each stud. It will hold just fine. Mine is a 50" plasma mounted this way. I could hang off of the mount and bounce w/o it moving. Use a 3/16 pilot hole.

Allowable lateral load in white wood pine for that size screw is 345 pounds each, giving you a load capacity of 345 x 4 = 1380 pounds. It won't fall.

Any other questions, pm me and I'll get you my phone #.

edit: here is a link to the mount I got from sams for my 50" plasma. I've been told that plasmas are much heavier than LCD's. Go online to samsclub.com. They have lots of variety: articulating, tilting, etc.

4. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Hmm.... Curious here too. Will be mounting one in other room soon. How do you gusy go about handling cable boxes? If there is no shelf nearby.

5. KyleK

I added a 4 wide junction box behind where the tv would end up. I ran cables from it to where the cable boxes, dvd, etc would be. I put appropriate cables for each type of machine so that I effectively had an extension cord for each type machine that ran from it's home to the box behind the tv.

edit: we have a credenza under ours that hides all of the stuff. makes a nice neat install.

6. BAY0U BENGAL

I'm sure Kyle's way works, but I have no idea what he's saying because I'm no good with any of that. I've got a friend that's gonna come in and run the cables through the attic and out of the walls (he used to do that stuff for a living) so that it all looks neat and clean. We've got a entertainment center-type thing that's gonna hold the cable boxe and dvd player, so it won't be cluttered.

And I appreciate the help, Kyle. It's gonna be a couple of weeks before I tackle this project because of my tile floor sitiuation. I almost started a thread on why you shouldn't let friends put down tile floors. All this homeowner stuff is still new to me, but at least I got my LSU/game room painted up. I'm gonna put some pics up as soon as I get it all done

7. KyleK

That's the stuff we do every day. If you have any questions, pm me and I'll give you a phone number. Glad to help any way I can.

It sounds like you are essentially doing the same thing I did w/ mine. Behind the tv I have a cable outlet, 2 HDMI outlets/receptacles, A/C outlet/receptacle, and 2 sets of RCA outlet/receptacles. I have the same thing behind the credenza. Therefore, I plug the HDMI coming out of the TV into the HDMI in the wall. I then plug the DVD's HDMI into the HDMI that is behind the credenza. It thinks I'm plugging straight into the tv. I wanted to post a pic, but I can't find my dang camera. ugh!

8. BAY0U BENGAL

You can borrow mine, if you can fix it. :lol:

My next trick is to find a clean way to run the cable onto my back patio, so I can put a small 15" or so t.v. outside while I'm grilling (for gamedays). I like to be outside

9. DRC

DRC TigerNator

I have used these often when your components are directly under the wall mounted display. These work well for inside walls with no insulation. If you use these on outside walls you need a fish tape or fish rod to pull wires through the insulation. These are also reversible with the scoop going into the wall. Makes for a clean and neat install without having to terminate wire. Drop power chords, HDMI, RG6, etc right through em.

[​IMG]

10. KyleK

definitely easier than my way. Mine is a bit neater, but way more difficult and a bit pricier too.