Want a offensive or defensive minded...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TSdude, Dec 30, 2004.

1. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

coach? Or does it matter as long as he's a proven winner?

I personally would rather have a defensive coach, why? In LSU's past football history, the Tigers have had much more success with defensive oriented coaches. The offensive oriented coaches we've had in the past have had some success initially then things went downhill quickly.

:lsug: :eek:ldskule: :geaux:

2. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

i agree with a defensive coach, but it's all about who a coach surrounds themselves with. a good off mind needs a good def cord and vice versa. spurrier wasn't only an offensive genius (in college) but he had stoopes as a DC.

3. LSUfan91

LSUfan91 Freshman

I'd want a Defensive too! Was Saban a Defensive or an Offensive coach?

4. LSUtiger327

DEFENSE!!!!!!!!:thumb:

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Absolutely doesn't matter im my opinion. What we need is a quality coach that can surround himself with quality assistants that are good at the things that he is not. If he is a defensive minded coach hire a quality OC and let him call the shots, if he is an offensive minded coach get a quality DC and give him the same control. What Saban did was all the little things that have nothing to do with X's and O's and it made a huge difference. Give me a coach smart enough to realize that he has to do all the little things and not so paranoid that he is scared to hire quality assistants that may be better than him in certain areas(see Dumbnardo).

6. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

LSUtiger327....I saw Stewie in your sig...man I absolutely love the Family Guy. I find it hilarious and matches my warped sense of humor.

7. LSUtiger327

yep. best show ever, i got 'em all on DVD. supposedly new season will come out on fox in march or may. :grin:

8. UF96NC

UF96NC Founding Member

It shouldn't matter. Defensive minded head coaches would be dependant on their offensive coordinators much like offensive head coaches are on their defensive coordinators. Spurrier coached teams at UF were always successful. He needed a defensive coordinator who could get his teams to be the best they could be. Ron Zook was a terrible defensive coordinator. Bob Pruit defended the pass pretty well but was horrible against the run (95 fiesta bowl). Bob Stoops brought balance defensively and a NC in 96. John Hoke was decent against the pass and awful against the run (2001 Vols game).
    Pete Carroll has Norm Chow. Bob Stoops has Chuck Long and in the past had Mike Leach and Mark Mangino. It's when head coaches try to micro manage, in my opinion, things get screwed up. I believe that was Zooks downfall.

9. LSUtiger327

hey uf96, what do you think of meyer? and were you a fire ron zook guy?

10. UF96NC

UF96NC Founding Member

I'm not sure about Meyer. It's a plus that he's been successful at two different programs. It's his offense I'm not sure about. I know it has been impressive but it hasn't been playing against defenses like the SEC or other major conferences have to offer. When you play an SEC schedule, teams may get a grasp on defending something new and come up with solutions to shut it down. Spurrier was successful because he threw the ball when you blitzed, played zone, played man. He had something for every defense. I don't know if Meyer will be able to do that. I like what I've read on him though.
    I wasn't a fire Zook fan either. I'm a Gator fan. I always thought it was pretty classless, the FireRonZook.com website. If a coach is fired before given a fair chance, not in the fans eyes but in the coaching profession's eyes, it hurts the university in it's appeal to other possible coaching candidates. I thought Zook did some bone headed things though. I think he micro managed his coaches. He coached not to lose instead of coaching to win. I believe he did that against LSU. He turned it lose against FSU. He was a energetic coach who could recruit and I loved him more for the character he showed AFTER he was fired. He kept coaching, kept the players playing, he even kept recruiting. He NEVER quit. I can admire that in any coach at any school.