War Eagle

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerEd, Oct 25, 2002.

1. TigerEd

TigerEd Freshman

Could someone explain to me the meaning of the War Eagle thing. I mean they're mascot is a tiger right? Is that supposed to be intimidating? No offence to you Auburn fans that might read this, but I just don't think it works as well as "Tiger Bait", or "Geaux Tigers". Having said that, I'm sure it's some great longstanding tradition, and I'd just like to know what it is>

Thanks & Geaux Tigers!

2. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

I have to confess. I lived in Opelika for 7 years as a kid. Thankfully I wasn't brainwashed into being an Auburn fan. Anyway to the question at hand. There is actually a very good story behind the War Eagle thing. I can't remember the whole thing, but it has something to do with an eagle flying around the stadium during a game. Maybe one of the Auburn Guys on here will give us the whole thing.

3. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

The way it was told to me, was that a Confed. soldier found this sick eagle after a battle. He nursed it back to health, and when the war was over he took it home to Alabama. Years later, during a football game, the eagle broke loose and flew around the stadium. Afterwards, it died. Or something like that. Auburn fans, please verify.

4. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

to add to what you said, I heard the crowd started chanting WAR EAGLE WAR EAGLE when they saw the eagle circling

5. danthetigerfan

danthetigerfan Founding Member

that is so WEAK. the dam eagle seen all those goofy rednecks and he got a stomach ache and died. cant say that i blame him. many of sheep have been there and died too.