War without Congressional Approval

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex_B, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Congress approved the use of force in Iraq. Both dems and reps did this. Mrs. Clinton voted for force ,as I remember, and she was very close to being the presidential candidate for the dems last election. They're congressmen and senators that get the same briefings about things like this from the CIA. Both parties gave the greenlight on this. The Iraq war didn't start until bush got congress' approval. Most liberals tend to want to forget that.

2. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

This is NOT the King's Army.

For someone so "conservative" I find it strange how you frequently ignore the Constitution.

3. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Not true. They approved force in Afghan only.

4. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

President George Bush, surrounded by leaders of the House and Senate, announces the Joint Resolution to Authorize the Use of United States Armed Forces Against Iraq, October 2, 2002.
    The Iraq Resolution or the Iraq War Resolution (formally the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002,[1] Pub.L. 107-243, 116*Stat.*1498, enacted October*16, 2002, H.J.Res.*114) is a joint resolution passed by the United States Congress in October 2002 as Public Law No: 107-243, authorizing the Iraq War.

Wikipedia under congressional approval for Iraq war

5. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

More on congressional approval for Iraq war. Even though in hindsight it may have been misguided it was congressionally approved.
    Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq (AUMF): Final vote
    This resolution is the most significant vote on Iraq taken in the House, as it officially gave President Bush the right to, “use the armed forces of the United States as he determines necessary and appropriate in order to defend the national security of the United States against the continuing threat posed by Iraq.” He would need no further authority to deploy troops, order airstrikes and wage a ground war with Iraq. While the bill passed decisively, many Democrats and a handful of Republicans opposed it. Some argued that Saddam Hussein was not an imminent threat to the United States, some stressed that only Congress has the right to declare war, and others argued that only a mandate from the United Nations would justify military action in Iraq.[11]

the link : Congressional actions on the Iraq War prior to the 2003 U.S. invasion - SourceWatch

6. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Everybody got it wrong: The CIA, NSA, foreign intelligence services, Congress (both parties) and the White House.

7. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

I agree but we will never know if chemical weapons were taken out to the desert and buried. The large scale production of wmd's by Iraq was destroyed in the first gulf war. What I don't understand is if we had to send in the marines to stop Iraq why is Iran not getting invaded?It would seam that countries like Jordan ,Saudi Arabia and the UAE would want the Iranian nuclear program destroyed. It is these countries that will be under threat from an embolden nuclear Iran.

8. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Call me buttercup

My Crim Law Prof said it best when justifying going into Iraq. First, there was a reasonable belief by all agencies involved that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. Second, Saddam refused to let us in to take a peep. If he did not refuse there would have been no war, however since he did we were justified in going in.

The fact that we went in, and were wrong is of no merit when determining if we were "in the right" when we went in. Also, in my opinion, we did the right thing by insuring their government stabilized before leaving.

And the British agencies, French agencies, etc. etc.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

What I meant was they didn't declare war but use of force.

10. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Your law professor must not be very good. haha

Who gave Sadaam weapons, we did. Who be-friended Sadaam, we did. Iraq is Iraq, they don't have to let anybody in if they don't want.

Bush's probable cause was based on hear-say. That won't hold up very well in court without any proof.

And stabilized govt. where?