War without Congressional Approval

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex_B, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

"better to ask for forgiveness than permission."

That little moniker got me in a **** ton of trouble in my first marriage.

Seriously.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Time was critical here. Gadaffi had promised a bloodbath in Benghazi and no one wanted Libya to become the Rwanda of his decade. We got in quick, we're getting out quick before congress could even find time to approve the use of force. It's why we have the War Powers Act. Sometimes the Commander has to make a command decision, so the War Powers Act gives him 60 days to receive Congressional approval.

And most conservatives tend to want to forget that Congress and the American people were misled by the Bush administration. There was no pressing urgency about the Iraq invasion. Indeed the entire premise for the war--the WMD's-were imaginary.

3. red55

But it wasn't everybody's responsibility. That lay with the White House.

4. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

I'M not fighting you on this one. I thought we had saddam bottled up and it was a waste. Iran was where we needed to be directing our attention. Why did Iraq seam like a place we needed to invade and Iran is untouchable while they build a nuclear bomb?

5. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

If we weren't there that system would fall in about 3 days. Their culture isn't suited for Democracy and I don't think every society benefits from one.

Which is worse having their dictator kill them or have the US kill them? What's the casualty count again?

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Iraq_War[/ame]

6. red55

Sure we do. The UNSCOM inspectors destroyed and accounted for all of the chemical weapons in the 10 years that they were on the ground in Iraq. Our own US inspectors warned us specifically and loudly that we would find no WMD's in Iraq. The chemical weapons were all accounted for and destroyed.

Iran is not a vital US interest.

They do. It is the main reason that they tolerate our military bases on their territory.

It is important to remember that Iran does not seek a weapon to attack the United States, Israel, or anybody else who has a nuclear retaliatory capability. They are radical but they are not stupid. It would be a suicide move. The reason they want one is deterrence from the regional powers in their neighborhood that already have weapons - Israel, India, and Pakistan. They have no delivery system to retaliate against America, so it offers them no deterrence against us. Which is why they threaten Israel . . . they could hit Israel or Saudi Arabia in response to a US attack. They hope this deters us. I wouldn't bet on it.

7. red55

There was ample evidence that this was false and it was ignored.

We had been on the ground for 10 years merrily destroying all the WMD's. This was testified to by our inspectors before the war.

Nonsense. It supports the validity of the ignored information that went contrary to what the administration believed.

French intelligence informed the United States a year before President Bush's State of the Union address that the Nigerian Yellowcake allegation could not be supported with hard evidence.

8. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

I'd bet if Iran had nukes they would release all of their cronies such as Hamas on isreal knowing once they became a nuclear they would be untouchable. If the **** hit the fan and the regime was in jeperdy they would blast isreal as a going away gift. If iran goes nuclear they will use one eventually. If isreal would have a nuke go off on one of their cities they will light the Arab world on fire. It should be a top priority to keep Iran from going nuclear.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Total bullsh!t, but you know that. We'll engrave it on your tombstone, though, so you may rest in peace.

10. red55

Don't try to tell me what I know. Everybody but you accepted the truth a long time ago. The facts bore out the truth. The WMD's were a lie.