Warrant for Willie Williams

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mesquite tiger, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

Am I the only miffed by this "hugging without consent" charge?

I'm sure it's a euphamism, but I've never heard of that.

If that's a crime, the guy sitting next to me at the Sugar Bowl should be serving a life sentence!

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Purple Jungle has a point..

"hugging without concent" is probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard.....

3. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

It is hard to believe that he is now facing 5 years because he hugged someone with out permission.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Ed Reed blocked a punt and scored a touchdown in last nights Pro Bowl.

5. BP

BP Founding Member

Not really

According to the report, he walked up to a woman he did not know and huged her even after she protested. Remember, this is a misdemeanor, not a felony. The charge is actually battery. I am not an attorney (thank GOD!!!), but as I understand the term, battery means taking action that would put a reasonable person in fear of their safety. I think this qualifies..... as opposed to assault which is when you actualy hit the other person.

6. Uncle Gus

Uncle Gus Founding Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/football/ncaa/02/09/bc.fbc.miami.williams.ap/index.html

MIAMI (AP) -- An arrest warrant was issued for Miami's top recruit on Monday, accusing him of violating his probation while on a recruiting visit to Florida last month.

Willie Williams, 19, has been charged with misdemeanor battery by state officials in Gainesville after a woman said he hugged her without permission. That charge spurred the issuing of an arrest warrant in Broward County, where Williams is on probation for pleading no contest to felony burglary in 2002.

Williams' 18-month probation term was to end Wednesday. He now may face up to five years in prison, the maximum on the burglary charge, plus an uncertain future with the Hurricanes.

"I am not talking to the officials at Miami at this point. I know they are taking a wait-and-see attitude," said Paul Lazarus, Williams' attorney. "I am hopeful they will take Willie under their guidance and he will help them win a national championship. They have to let the dust settle on this."

Miami athletic director Paul Dee said in a statement released Monday that the school was monitoring the case.

Although Williams has already accepted a scholarship, Miami could rescind it under NCAA rules.

Williams, who could not be reached for comment, remained free Monday afternoon. Lazarus said he was filing a motion asking a Broward judge to allow Williams to surrender voluntarily.

"If that doesn't happen, he will surrender when the judge tells us he has to," Lazarus said.

More charges against Williams may be pending, State Attorney's Office spokesman Spencer Mann said, because the woman's battery claim was one of three complaints filed against Williams in Gainesville.

Williams also allegedly hit a man at a bar and set off three fire extinguishers in his hotel -- all in span of five hours. The unlawful use of fire extinguishers may be a felony, officials said.

"The other two [complaints] are still being investigated," Mann said.

Williams allegedly grabbed the woman against her will and held her face "against his chest and/or touching the victim about the body," according to the charge. It did not reveal any other details of the incident.

Williams had 83 tackles and 18 sacks last season, helping Miami Carol City win the state Class 6A title and earning Parade All-American honors. He chose Miami over Florida State, Florida and Auburn.

School officials said last week they were unaware Williams had been arrested 10 times from 1999 through 2002, mostly for burglary and theft-related charges, an admission that athletic director Paul Dee showed the background-checking process was "insufficient."

The arrest record and the Gainesville complaints were revealed on Feb. 4, the same day Williams signed his letter of intent to enroll at Miami and play for the Hurricanes.

State records show the last time Williams was in legal trouble prior to the Gainesville complaints was July 2002, when he was accused of stealing of $3,800 of stereo equipment from a Pembroke Pines store -- the incident that led to the felony burglary charge and probation sentence.

7. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

The Willie saga gets better today....

He surrendered to police today for his warrant. it is now also released that he has been arrested 10 times since he was 14 years old. Miami officials claim they did not know about his background when they were recruiting him, and said they have laxed on their background checks of possible recruits.

Sounds like little Willie has always been a trouble maker, and according to this article he did not just hug the girl, but he used "force against her will".

If anybody can photoshop Willie in a prison uniform with a UM logo, please do so for our amusement.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/football/ncaa/02/10/bc.fbc.miami.williams.ap/index.html

8. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Breaking news here...

Willie is breaking his commitment to Miami to play for State Penn University. :D