was Florida '97 the last time the goal posts came down?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DocBrooks, Apr 17, 2006.

1. swoop

swoop Founding Member

I remember it being gel and mace that was on the goal posts. That was the rumor atleast.

2. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Security has played a large role in the goalposts not coming down as much. Sure, there are 20000 students ready to rush the post, but those 20000 don't matter that much to the first couple of people that have to try and go through a row of cops with mace and batons. After the 2000 season when the goalposts came down twice, security around the student section has been ramped up significantly.

3. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

When we beat Auburn to win the SEC West in 01 the cops won the battle. They beat down a couple kids and maced several more trying to climb the posts. It was pretty rough. I remember thinking how stupid it was for them to be trying to tear down the posts, since maybe only 5,000 or so fans ran on the field.

4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

It was more than just a rumor. I got close enough to it after it fell to help hold it up. It felt and smelled like Vaseline.

5. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Oh jeez...NO ONE WAS MACED OR BEATEN WITH BATONS...

The State Police surrounded the North end zone post and the Sheriff Dept had the South. The City police was split around both. You had two waves to get through to get to the GP. There were some pushes and shoves but NO ONE was beaten. A couple were knocked around that kept trying but other than that no injuries.

Right...you lose the battle but win the war...we we're told to let people onto the field. We can't stop them. The only thing we were to do was to keep people off of the handicapped in the disabled section and to keep people out until the game clock ran out. After that it was up to the Police to keep the goal posts up...and it worked.

6. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

Didn't say anyone was seriously injured, but I was right on the fence in the NE and saw with my own eyes two guys get maced, and several others were thrown to the ground by the Police trying to run through their line. However I agree that I did not see nor say that I said any one was hit with a baton. The two guys I saw get maced deserved it though after making multiple unsuccessful attempts to run through the police line.

7. Billy_C

Billy_C Freshman

Not our stadium..but didn't the Kentucky fans tear down their own goalposts before they realized we had won the game?

8. TigerInTally

TigerInTally Founding Member

Speaking of goal post silliness, how pathetic do you have to be to storm your home field and tear down the posts after the team wins a big away game?

link

I guess if you are pitiful enough to play a mid week game nothing is beneath you.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Yep. They doused their coach with Gatorade, too.

It was great.