Washington DC

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by uscvball, Apr 12, 2015.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

been there a few times, its one of my favorite spots for breakfast, just tough to get into, i use open table for reservations.

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

We were able to snag Easter "brunch" reservations at 3:30 in the afternoon. Still awesome but I sure would have loved to have breakfast there. The cornbread is nothing short of brilliant. I had the Yankee pot roast and I would give it a 9.5.

3. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

ive never done lunch or dinner there, but the breakfast is awesome, great mimosas and always get the vodka/grapefruit in the morning there.

4. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Different for every district and individual school. Our school has done an international trip each of the last 7 years. This year they went to Greece; Next year they go to Spain. Usually about 40 students go and the superintendent, principal, and some school system honchos use the free passes (one for every 10 students). The other U.S. History teacher and I will be setting up a "domestic" trip for next year... either NYC or DC.

5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I get regular emails from a company that organizes a European trip for our district. I have heard good things about it but I'm not ready to give that one a go.

I saw dozens of school groups last week and I was regularly pissed off at both the students and the chaperones for not doing their job. At places that demand reverence, kids were loud and unruly. I gave so many mean stares at Arlington, my eyeballs hurt. At Mt Vernon a group of girls came skipping up to Washington's tomb. At the VietNam Memorial, I saw kids pick up mementos that had been left behind. Some things should be sacred cows and there are plenty of those in Washington. My daughter and her friend were surprised and fascinated by the protestors outside the East entrance. They were yelling about Yemen and Saudi Arabia. They wondered if the President could hear it or was disturbed by it.

We picked a good time to leave though. The day we traveled home, was when that dude committed suicide on the Capitol steps and yesterday that whackanoodle with the helicopter landed on the Capitol lawn.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The Smithsonian museums are another good place to visit in the winter, when the mobs of tourists are gone.

7. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

The one time I've been was late May... Most of the Yankees are still in school making up for snow days, so things were pretty quiet. We scored an apartment-sized hotel room three blocks from the Vietnam Memorial... Was nice for walking around in the Mall at night.

8. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Yes, I spent a little time there! Geaux Navy!

9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Out of everything I've read in this thread, this is the most impressive. Just curious where it is now.

10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

This may come under the heading of TMI....but you asked, so. After he passed away my evil step-grandmother donated a bulk of his "things" to the San Diego Aerospace Museum (they lived nearby). They may have it or it may have been discarded when she sold the house. So, I don't know for sure. We knew she was going to do it so the weekend prior my mom and my sister and I went for a visit with really big coats and smuggled a bunch of stuff out. Sad in a way, but we have laughed about it over the years. They have his Collier Trophy and despite a request from my mom, they wouldn't return it to her even after the evil one died.

There is no sound. My grandfather is to Ike's left in the video. At 2:26, the lady in the dorky pillbox hat is my mom.

fanatic likes this.