Watch out for Ole Miss recruiting.......

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TN Tiger, Feb 24, 2005.

1. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

LSU and Ole Miss being down is completely different.

I don't mean this in a bad way (because I like you) but we are set up in a very nice recruiting area while Ole Miss is far from it.

2. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

Wrong, the area is GREAT for recruiting.

Actually, as close to memphis and with the players coming out of South Panola, Ole Miss could do well at recruiting. They've gotten some players from North Louisiana lately too. The attitude of Ignore it they can't do crap is stupid. The REAL obstacle to Ole Miss recruiting isn't OLE MISS and who they are or their stadium. It's the fact that MSU is right down the road and so is Memphis State, Bama, etc....

LSU needs to get off their A$$'s in recruiting NORTH MISSISSIPPI and some of you people on here need to realize there IS a wealth of good ball players coming out of the magnolia state. It may not be as many as Texas and LA, but there are quite a few, just look at the boards ( RIVALS )the last few years. Those High school teams didn't get ranked for nothing.

West Monroe and that area is TOO heavily recruited by OLE MISS and ARK. Saban has done well in recruiting, can't complain, but LSU can't afford to let talent slip by. We need to mine THEIR back yard, not vice versa.

3. MarineTiger

I don't think I am wrong at all.

Ole Miss is in a decent area at best and shares it with an up and coming MSU team. Alabama could be said to be on UGA/AU/UA territory and Tennessee has UGA/UT/NC/NCState/Bama and others wrapping themselves around it.

With LSU putting LA on clamps, Ole Miss is left out to dry and a lot of top prospects.

Not to say Ole Miss can't get some 5-Star players from the state areas but as a whole I don't see them ever competing for a Top 5-10 class unless several programs fall apart.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Yeah...In the SunBelt.

5. mtntiger

mtntiger Freshman

Got some bad news for ya, Col Reb. If you guys are competing with the likes of MVSU, Jackson State and Alcorn for talent, then you've already lost.

6. STRIPES

STRIPES Founding Member

ROTFLMFAO!!! Orgeron is some recruiter....

Ole Miss signed 27 players in this class under Orgeron and no less than SIXTEEN players were rated as "2 star" recruits. That is SIXTY percent of the damn class which Ed "the Ogre" Orgeron managed to out-recruit the likes of Jackson State, Middle Tennessee, La Tech, Arkansas State, etc.
    for and snagged them for Ole Missy.

Yes, it can be said that there are sometimes recruits who are under-rated but there simply isn't any doubt that a football program in the SEC isn't going to become a major power by signing 16 kids who would have to be considered "reaches".

It is laughable that some LSU fans on the boards actually talk about Orgeron as if he is going to turn Ole Miss around and they dismiss the alarmingly low rankings of Ole Miss' recruits in this class. However, if LSU coaches EVER turned in a recruiting effort like Orgeron did this season, the same LSU fans would be in an absolute panic and ready to burn the coaching staff at the stake.

In the 2-3 months Orgeron has been at Ole Miss he has already had to fire an assistant coach for DWI charges which occurred on a major recruiting weekend in Oxford and lost 3 additional assistants. One of his assistants actually left Ole Miss and returned to USC. Orgeron is a clown and it is already obvious that he is in way over his head as a head coach and his total lack of head coaching experience is plain to see.

7. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

I said the area is rich in good talent and it is. The probelm is other schools in close proximity, which is what you're saying. they COULD do well, I don't think they will for reasons listed. LSU needs to start recruiting MISS too.

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Liss is a good recruiting state but they have some problems with their top players not qualifying, many of them. They also have 3 major D-1 schools recruiting there so Ole Miss isn't going to get classes as good as LSU, but tyey will get good athletes.

And there facilites are very good and getting better all the time. There stadium is no longer a "high school" stadium.

I'm not worried about Coach O coming into LA and stealing a bunch of our better recruits but I am worried about him developing something over there in Oxford.

9. MarineTiger

Right. I do agree :thumb:

10. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Did they raze the stadium and rebuild it? Seriously, how did they upgrade it? I'm not being sarcastic here, I just haven't been there since the late 90's. I just have a hard time imagining how you can upgrade that stadium (kinda like trying to convert a Kia into an Escalade.)